Thread: Speedo vs final drive gear ration discrepancy

Speedo vs final drive gear ration discrepancy

When I first got tuned, my tune had values for having 4.10 gears in the rear end and the factory tire size. The rpo codes in my glovebox, show that I have 3.73's. I've been the only owner of the truck and have not swapped to 4.10's. I corrected this in the tune with the proper gears and tire size and have never been able to get the speedo accurate with the 3.73 ratio. I put it back to 4.10's and now it's dead on...... Why is this? The rpm still reads like I have 3.73's when cruising. I like the fact that my speedo is accurate now but curious to why my truck's tune was like this from the factory. I've tuned an identical 3.7L regular cab and it was also like this.

Sorry about the title.... Ratio not "ration".

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    GM probably just fudged the numbers from the factory, not uncommon.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Is it possible to correct the rpm vs speed?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxxer View Post
    When I first got tuned, my tune had values for having 4.10 gears in the rear end and the factory tire size. The rpo codes in my glovebox, show that I have 3.73's. I've been the only owner of the truck and have not swapped to 4.10's. I corrected this in the tune with the proper gears and tire size and have never been able to get the speedo accurate with the 3.73 ratio. I put it back to 4.10's and now it's dead on...... Why is this? The rpm still reads like I have 3.73's when cruising. I like the fact that my speedo is accurate now but curious to why my truck's tune was like this from the factory. I've tuned an identical 3.7L regular cab and it was also like this.
    I'd like clarification on this too. My stock tune says:

ratio: 3.42
    Err: 1
    Trans: 3.73

When I use the tire/gear changer, it sets all settings to 3.42(actual gears in my truck).
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

I just went to tirerack.com and found the tires that I have on my truck and used their revs/mile specs and just put that value in the tune. I now have the proper tire size and gear ratio in the tune and the speedo is spot on within 2 mph at high speed.