Thread: Maybe too many questions... for my conversion...

Potential Tuner

Maybe too many questions... for my conversion...

I am converting my Isuzu Vehicross to LS1 power right now. I know that sometime in the near future I am going to have the problem of needing some PCM/ECM/VCM... ok... CM (how's that) modifications. For the most part, I will need simply stuff like speedo calibration and probably tranny adjustment. I however want to shut off the downstream O2 sensors as one of them was damaged when the motor was removed from the donor car. I have a local speed shop that will do a lifetime unlimited LS1 Edit modification... but the price is $450! I'd rather spend the few extra bucks and own my own stuff if it will do what I want/need. I was also looking at AutoTap and found EFILive and liked the Virtual Dashboard that they offer... but when I found VCM Suite I was pleasantly surprised with the package inlcuding the scan tool too.

A couple questions that come to mind imediately...

1) Can I shut off down-stream O2s with VCM Suite?
    2) Can I run the scan tool at ALL times? the reason I ask is that I have considered installing an LCD display in the dash cluster in place of the gauges (I will be installing one if not TWO PC's in the VX)... then if I was running VCM Suite's Digital Dash... I could have my gauges at all times... easily... as opposed to rewiring the stock cluster. Is this something that would be OK? Or is there some kind of risk by doing this?

My PC system I will be running was orginally going to be ONLY for media entertainment but figured I could make GOOD use of it as well. If running the scan tool all the time is ok, I think I will be doing this. This of course means I have to buy into the package... lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Re: Maybe too many questions... for my conversion.

Yes you can disable downstream O2's..

You can run the scan tool at all times but its not meant or has been tested to run continuousely indefinately. It's developed and distruboted as a scan tool not a dash cluster replacement. One thing about running the scan tool though is that it really puts a lot of activity on the VPW bus (the line that all the devices talk to eachother with)... but in a swap situation you may only have the PCM/BCM talking to eachother. ... I'm not sure but we didn't develop our scan tool to be a gauge cluster replacement so its really, use at your own risk type deal. You could be doing 65 and then have a software glitch with either windows our our software and have to restart some things, could be a little weird.

Our dash display does lack oil PSI, fuel level and SES and other important lights though.. but for a conversion I think you'd only need an SES light and not thigns like ABS-INOP or AIR BAGS..

Also, I'm moving this to general.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...