Thread: Manual shifting help for a 4L60

Potential Tuner

Manual shifting help for a 4L60

I am doing a tune for a fellow customer that owns a 03 sonoma 4.3 auto truck who does auto X racing. He has asked to have full manual shifting control of his truck while in the performance side/ tables of his tune. To make a long story short the S-series trucks were never offered with a tow haul mode button but some S-series blazers were. Because the newer S10's use the LSx style PCM i am able to utilize a momentary push button to switch between the stock tables and the performance tables with no problem. I usually offer this option for my customers to be-able to enable stock trans settings or something which is much more wild depending on there needs. I seem to be at a loss when i was asked to see if i could keep the trans from automatically shifting unless the shifter is moved. Any help would be much appreciated. I think i figured out how to keep it in 1st until the shifter is moved to 2nd, and i have figured how to keep it in 2nd and hold out till 3rd but that's were i run into a problem, Every time i manually select 3rd it wont shift into 3rd it just bounces of the rev limiter in 2nd. I am not so sure this can even be done but like i said the reason he was wanting this is because he gives up allot of time on the track because the trans is always searching for gears. I will post a current tune tomorrow.

Thanks Shawn.

I would look into installing a Transgo HD-2 shift kit in the trans. I believe it will let you command the gear with shifter position.

Post the tune so we can see what tables you have access to and what the shift properties are set to.

I would think setting performance shift to something like
    1-2 leave everything the way it is and adjust the 50-100% tps for where he wants it to shift
    2-1 set it 5-10mph less than the upshift speed you might want more like 15 in the upper tps
    2-3 80-86mph or what is close to red line
    3-2 about the same as the 2-1

If he is hitting therev limiter drop the shift speed for 2-3 and match WOT shift to 100tps, also try adjusting the shift RPM down a little.

02 VW Golf

98 Bonneville SSE
    03 Grandprix GT
    EcoModder

Potential Tuner
    Just wanted add a question to this thread, what is the difference in setting the downshift speed to 1 mph below upshift vs the 5-10 mph as suggested? Does it help the trans response time shifting to a lower gear while cruising at 45 mph for example?