Thread: USB Interface Error running in Parallels

Potential Tuner

Exclamation USB Interface Error running in Parallels

I am trying to run HP Tuners on a macbook pro with parallels software, but I keep having problems with the USB interface. When I try to read my VCM, it asks to update the firmware. When it tries to update, a F8 error happens. When I unplug the interface and try again, it will not acknowledge the interface. To have HP Tuners acknowledge the interface again, I must uninstall the driver and reinstall.
    If I cancel the firmware update and try to read the VCM, HP Tuners says the that the interface cannot be found and to make sure that nothing else is using the com port. The only USB device that I have pluged in is the interface. If I want the interface to be acknowledged again, I must go and uninstall the driver and reinstall.
    The interface works fine on my windows desktop. I really don't know how to solve this problem. Does anybody that is using HP Tuners with paralells have any suggestions. I am without a car until I figure this out.
    Please help.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get this to work in Parallels?

I also have a Macbook Pro and tried using parallels with HP Tuners. I ran into the exact same problem you did, firmware update and everything. I even used a buddy's PC to update the firmware and then tried it on my setup and it still wouldn't work. I didn't know how to solve it so I ended up canning the whole project and installed bootcamp. Parallels just wasn't cooperating and I wasn't digging the stabillity (crashed a few times), maybe I just don't know how to set it up but I wasn't having any luck. Now I'm working with bootcamp and it worked perfectly for about a week, and now it says cannot locate com port, which is a windows error, so I doubt its a bootcamp problem. Just need to further investigate it and I'm sure it will work again.
    04 Black GTO A4
    Heads/Cam/Converter with stock intake and exhaust.

Not A Tuner
    BootCamp works great on my MacBook ...... no issues !!!

DH

2004 MSG A4

Appearance: Billet Plate&Sill/SS Insert/Screens/Blackout/Lowered/CCW SP500

Perfomance: 416 CI/228-232@114/AFR 225/FAST/LS2 TB/36#Injectors/Honker/RPM(IV)/Vig2400/Z06 Ti/Kooks/3.42 Gear/Hotchkis/Bilstein/Z06 Springs/Eradispeed/Hawk HP+/Trans Cooler/B&M Trans Pan/RonDavies with EOC/Nitto R2's/AMWcan/Rocker Rails/Frame Savers

Mods & Tune: A&A Corvette

??? RWHP / ??? RWTQ
    1/4 mile: mid 11's ??
    WSIR 1:37.68

Potential Tuner

updating driver software in bootcamp

I am also running bootcamp and it wont work any tips dirty howie?

Tuner in Training
    what OS are you running, and any errors would be good.

this is probably a smartass comment but 'Wont work' doestn really help from a diagnostic point of view of the problem at hand.

the more details the better.

Potential Tuner
    Try to enable USB 2.0 in the settings for Parallels. I'm running virtual box and had to do that.