Thread: 4l60e vette slipping...HELP!!!!

Tuner in Training

Exclamation 4l60e vette slipping...HELP!!!!

1999 Corvette 4l60e ls1
    Trick flow heads/cam
    Stock bottom ls1
    Rebuilt 4l60e with yank 3200 converter (just installed)

My car is slipping badly in 3rd and a little when I command 4th on VCM

Transmission was just rebuilt for slippage in 2nd gear (burnt band and drum)
    Band, drum, cluthes, steels,pump, converter, seals are all new

I just got the new trans in and went ahead and put a yank 3200 converter in it.

It feels like it's in nuetral when shifting to 3rd

Log and config attached.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Brett

Advanced Tuner
    did you put in new over running clutch and sprag? You build it or someone else?
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Tuner in Training
    I built it. This being my first 4l60 build its possible i did something wrong. I had an issue with the band slipping in 2nd so i replaced the band with wider and got a mew drum. These were the only visibly worn parts but i also did the 3-4 clutches, seals, low reverse piston, accumulator and servo seals, etc while i was in there. I did not replace the sprag. So in short i fixed the second gear issue and somehow broke 3rd

Advanced Tuner
    did you air check the 3-4 clutch packs for leaks? maybe torn a seal. the kit I put in came with new pistons. Did you have a lip seal tool to help install them? did you soak the clutches in atf before assembly?
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Advanced Tuner
    also you sure about the check balls back in the correct places. Did you clean the vavle body?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not a expert but I've done two now in the last 6 months and both are running good. But both I had put in the monster in the box kits. one ss mega and the other was the basic kit.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wyochimneysweep View Post
    did you air check the 3-4 clutch packs for leaks? maybe torn a seal. the kit I put in came with new pistons. Did you have a lip seal tool to help install them? did you soak the clutches in atf before assembly?
    I air checked during assembly and seemed fine. I used a "lip wizard" green wheel to install the seals (it came with my kit). I soaked the clutches for about 2 weeks as I was waiting on parts.

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb

also you sure about the check balls back in the correct places. Did you clean the vavle body?
    I thoroughly cleaned the valve body when it was having the 2nd gear issue. I still had the issue when reinstalled so decided to rebuild. This time around I did not disassemble the entire valve body, but did clean it. Check balls were triple checked as well.

I did notice the trans overtemp light came on when I test drove it for about 10 min. I'm not sure if this is because of the new converter or an indication of slipping. 3rd gear does not feel like slipping, it just revs as if in neutral. 4th however slightly engages at about 4500rpm. 1st and 2nd feel perfectly normal.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I just moved and had a lapse in internet.

Sounds like I will be taking it out to have a look ; which isn't simple on the vettes. I was hoping it could be solenoid or valve body related.

I appreciate the help! Any other ideas?

Tuner in Training
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37670

Anybody know if this works for the A4? I may try tomorrow!

Advanced Tuner
    I'll look in my book today and see what's applied in fourth and third. If you get it up to like 5000 rpm with shifter in 2nd and throw it into 4th does it skip 3rd and go into fourth?

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like if you don't got either third or fourth it's got to be the 3-4 clutch pack bud. That's applied for both and only one that no other gears use. All other clutches that are used are also applied in either first or second

Tuner in Training
    Looks like if you don't got either third or fourth it's got to be the 3-4 clutch pack bud. That's applied for both and only one that no other gears use. All other clutches that are used are also applied in either first or second
    Out it comes! I will take a look inside and update status/pics when possible. Thanks for the help!

Tuner in Training

Question

The only other thing I can think that may not be installed properly is the 4 teflon seals on the front shaft. I opted for the solid seals vs. scarf cut and had to make my own tool to get them to shrink back down. Would this cause an issue in 3rd and 4th????

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that could be the Problem. I paid to have the local tranny shop to Install and size them properly. I wasn't going to take a chance on it. Let us know what u find

Tuner in Training

Update

I realize it's been a while since I posted, but just wanted to give an update in the event someone else could use the information.

Trans is shifting great now! I took it all apart, and sure enough 2 of the input shaft teflon seals were damaged. I found wrapping them in electrical tape (sticky side out) and placing the shaft in the freezer helped to resize the rings.

Thanks for the help!