Thread: Fan relay clicking

Potential Tuner

Fan relay clicking

On a 5.3L with a 2002 truck computer that was set up by painless wiring it wasn't set for electric fans. I went in set it on "2 fans" and set up my on temp at 170 and an off speed at 55 mph. When it turn on at 170 the fan relay is always cycling, it sounds like a signal light flasher, and it will not turn off over 55 mph. Its a single fan and when i do a manual test the fan one switch turns it on and the relay does not click, It works properly. The fan 2 switch does nothing.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Select ac recirc under fan setting type to enable second fan.

See post number 19 here:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33814
    Last edited by aknovaman; 03-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    AkNovaMan
    '99 Jaguar XJ8 turbocharged 6.0L 4L80e
    '99 B4C Police Camaro '96 9C1 Police Caprice

Tuner in Training
    I have the same mechanical relay clicking from the fan output when they switch on with the painless harness. 2001 camaro ecu. Seems like a function of coolant temp and vehicle speed. Does the ecu control fan speed with signal duty cycle? I didn't see an option to control fan speed in HPT.

Senior Tuner
    post tune

Tuner in Training
    Attached

Senior Tuner
    Try going to
    System > Ac and select ac recirc under fan setting type

Tuner in Training
    The second post in this thread says that will enable the second fan... that isn't my problem, though. Does it do something else?

The Fan Setting Type option doesn't show up under System->AC in HPT 2.22. It's probably in the beta which I don't have right now.

Advanced Tuner
    Why would you set it to 2 fans when you only have 1? The factory system uses 3 relays to control 2 fans with a high and low speed. How is yours wired?
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Tuner in Training
    Looks like the guy who wired my car did it wrong. VSS and Fuel Enable were tied together and used to trigger a relay to turn on the fan. Guess that's the reason the relay started clicking faster as I went faster and the fan never really turned on. It also now makes sense why I couldn't get HPT to trigger the fans.
    Last edited by orion4096; 02-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.