Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LNF Guides

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Documents Update
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training

newbie here

hi everyone, very impress with the info and the "togetherness" of the community. something I wish the Saturn sky forums had anyway, before I pull the trigger and buy hp tuners I was wondering if there are people out there that might be able to help me get a base tune or guide me through the tuning process. what I basically want to do is;

have the tune spike 27psi... but hold 25psi. (or maybe just hold 25psi)
    no rear cat code
    no cat heating mode (high idle at cold start up)
    maybe turn on and off the tune with the competitive mode? (no a must but would be nice)
    launch control at 3000rpm

the vehicle is a 2007 Sky lnf with gms1, gm cold air intake, catless dp, forge recirculating blow off valve, and bunch of non power adding mods

if anyone thinks this is do-able please let me know. I'm an ASE certified tech in 8 fields, very mechanically capable but have minimal computer/tuning skills... I would appreciate any help or input. thank you and glad to be part of the community

Woa there tiger the factory turbo is only good to 24 psi so you can run 24 and drop to 20-21 cause that's all it can produce.
    Everything else is achievable besides the traction button tune off. That requires other programming software. With all the updates most don't recommend it now

Tuner in Training
    dang, I remember my cobalt ss spiked 24 and held 21-22 (if I remember correct ) So cobaltssoverbooter, with your vast knowledge of the field would you take me under your wing and help me out when the time comes?

Ill guide you like I do for others when I can but I won't tell you what it needs. That's for you to work out so you learn it.

I set the boost drop low because some cars drop off more than others do. Better to mention low and have someone get more.

Tuner in Training
    awesome, I just ordered an eec pc netbook. soon as I get some extra scratch i'll order up hp tuners. any particular vendor u recommend? I was thinking ddm works

they will all be about the same. i recommend the pro edition, its worth it in the long run.

Tuner in Training
    what do I get extra with pro edition?... Never-mind, did my research and yes it is worth it... time to save some cash
    Last edited by slobalt09; 07-26-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slobalt09 View Post
    what do I get extra with pro edition?... Never-mind, did my research and yes it is worth it... time to save some cash
    Unless you plan on calibrating multiple platforms and you require the I/O inputs for whatever reason, the standard will be more than sufficient for your needs. The stand-alone "black box" logging is not enabled for the LNF either

CSSOB,

Just my opinion but I think it should be noted somewhere that injection timing is very important and should be adjusted accordingly when modifying the timing tables, optimum torque/timing tables, and cam tables. It's especially important when running E-blends.

I've found that running E20-E25 and completely modified timing tables required some slight adjustments to my injection timing in order to take care of all of the random KR, random stumbles and random lambda swings I was experiencing with stellar fuel trims.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

updates to material and corrections

Tuner in Training
    Hi. Thank you for your guide. This method work for an lsj ?

definately not.

we dont have videos yet but this is the information we have out. a lot of lsj stuff is getting revisited to aid in development of quality videos like the lnf has.
    this should be what your reading if you have an lsj:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...965-LSJ-Guides

just in case anyone of you money bags get any ideas....
    runner floor ramp.jpgRunner roof factory bosses.jpgPorted runner roof.jpg
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-02-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Updated: New thread links added

All Video's Now available as open to public.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-26-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: removed confusing bits

Tuner in Training
    Hey cobaltssoverbooster, I had a few questions for you. First off, could you better explain the correlation between WG duty cycle and the boost pressures the turbo create. I'm speaking in terms of the values in the table. And secondly, have you considered making a guide or a video on what all the different tables and features of the software are? I understand this takes a lot of time and effort, but it would be very benificial for many people. I myself and a mechanic but I am not a tuning wiz (yet) so if there was any way I could get in touch with you and maybe have you explain things better too me I would really appreciate it.
    Great guide and I hope to stay in touch!

Advanced Tuner
    Wastegate duty cycle is the pulsing of the wastegate solenoid to control airflow. Duty cycle of any solenoid is a percentage of how long the solenoid is open for a given time. Because the solenoid can open and close only so fast, it has a normal operating frequency, frequency is how many times it can operate in 1 second, referred to as hertz. Most solenoids operate in the 10-30 hz range.

We do not have a straight wastegate duty cycle (wgdc) table, we have a wgdc correction table. Most of the boost control happens in the PID tables (more on that in their appropriate threads, just google search "LNF PID Tables HPTuners" to find the results) as well as the air load torrque and desired air load tables. The ECU calculates how much boost we need to make the desired torque, which is the 'x' axis on the wgdc correction table, the correction table is a multiplier. So if my PID and everything else tables decide I need 30 psi, but I want 20, then I will have 66% in my wgdc table, if that makes sense.

For further clarification though, the wgdc table DOES have direct bearing on boost levels and it is my understanding that you should use it to control boost as it is the final multiplier table in the equation of desired boost. This means, though, that the numbers are neither directly correlated to boost numbers, nor are they directly correlated to wgdc. I know that sounds rather complex, but I hope that answers the question...

What I can say is, if you run anything but the stock turbo on the wastegate solenoid, you will need to cut the wgdc table in half depending on the wastegate spring weight. I went from the stock turbo that has a 7# to a BNR GT2871 that has a 12# spring and ended up with numbers in the 60s to make 25 lbs of boost, whereas I had numbers nearing 100 to get 23 lbs of boost on the stock turbo.

Very helpful. I need to calibrate a LNF next week. Any specific tables that 3.0 have now that I should scan ?

there hasn't been any new table releases since 2010. the only thing i noticed with 3.0 is some of the parameters and tables have been shuffled around the software. EX: map sensor calibration isn't only in the engine diagnostic section it is also in the engine parameter section.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
    Wastegate duty cycle is the pulsing of the wastegate solenoid to control airflow. Duty cycle of any solenoid is a percentage of how long the solenoid is open for a given time. Because the solenoid can open and close only so fast, it has a normal operating frequency, frequency is how many times it can operate in 1 second, referred to as hertz. Most solenoids operate in the 10-30 hz range.

We do not have a straight wastegate duty cycle (wgdc) table, we have a wgdc correction table. Most of the boost control happens in the PID tables (more on that in their appropriate threads, just google search "LNF PID Tables HPTuners" to find the results) as well as the air load torrque and desired air load tables. The ECU calculates how much boost we need to make the desired torque, which is the 'x' axis on the wgdc correction table, the correction table is a multiplier. So if my PID and everything else tables decide I need 30 psi, but I want 20, then I will have 66% in my wgdc table, if that makes sense.

For further clarification though, the wgdc table DOES have direct bearing on boost levels and it is my understanding that you should use it to control boost as it is the final multiplier table in the equation of desired boost. This means, though, that the numbers are neither directly correlated to boost numbers, nor are they directly correlated to wgdc. I know that sounds rather complex, but I hope that answers the question...

What I can say is, if you run anything but the stock turbo on the wastegate solenoid, you will need to cut the wgdc table in half depending on the wastegate spring weight. I went from the stock turbo that has a 7# to a BNR GT2871 that has a 12# spring and ended up with numbers in the 60s to make 25 lbs of boost, whereas I had numbers nearing 100 to get 23 lbs of boost on the stock turbo.
    Stupid question as I've been bouncing around on one trying to get the small problems ironed out of it, but if you've got a bigger a/m turbo and your running the wgdc near 100% - I assume this would cause it to over boost relying more on the limits to control boost or would this cause it to underboost as the wastegate would most likely have more bypass control?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC