Thread: Harsh converter lockup

Harsh converter lockup

I just installed my performabuilt level III and Precision Industries Vigilante 3200 triple disc lockup converter. I am having a very harsh lockup even with the factory max & min pressure settings for tcc duty cycle, to the point that is is far more firm that even the transmission actually shifting the car. Could this be by design or could/should I pull more from the tcc duty cycle tables even with them being stock?
    2006 CGM A4

if the log shows pressure ramping too fast, you can try setting the TCC Gain up a couple points, like to 1.5 for a starter. This will engage the TCC pressure ramp rate slower. Might soften the engagement without risking slip. Good luck!
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Forged 6.2L Flex Fuel Tuned
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Yes, it runs on E85 too and LOVES it! ;D

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 0352goat View Post
    I just installed my performabuilt level III and Precision Industries Vigilante 3200 triple disc lockup converter. I am having a very harsh lockup even with the factory max & min pressure settings for tcc duty cycle, to the point that is is far more firm that even the transmission actually shifting the car. Could this be by design or could/should I pull more from the tcc duty cycle tables even with them being stock?
    just a basic one considering you just put a new converter in, have you got enough fluid?

Senior Tuner
    I've set mine to lock at a lower thottle position. Much easier on the converter too.

I've since lowered the tcc pressure by 2 under the stock setting and raised the locking mph to 52. It's not as rough of a hit now but still makes me wonder. Many people have told me that a triple disc will lock harsh by design, but this seems to be over the top to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Longslyde View Post
    if the log shows pressure ramping too fast, you can try setting the TCC Gain up a couple points, like to 1.5 for a starter. This will engage the TCC pressure ramp rate slower. Might soften the engagement without risking slip. Good luck!
    Where do I monitor this and how do I make those adjustments??

Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    I've set mine to lock at a lower thottle position. Much easier on the converter too.
    I originally had it locking at 35 which resulted in a ridiculous lockup. I then tried 45, same thing. Someone on the GTO forum hinted at not locking up before 50mph at p/t and not less than 110 at wot.
    2006 CGM A4

Tuner in Training
    I run a PI in my 700 HP powerstroke. They are a very rough converter. In a diesel where I lock up in 2nd most of the time and it takes the 1300 ft. lbs. I'm giving it.

I had to set my tranny up a little different internally to regulate pressure going to it, then adjusted it the rest the way in the tuning software.

Pi's are good converters they'll hold. Mine feels like a whole other gear coming in when it locks up.