Thread: Picking a laptop

Potential Tuner

Picking a laptop

I`m ordering HPTUNERS PRO this week and looking for advice on laptop for it`s use.Three i`ve looked at arelisted.Will take any advice or suggestions.thanks

toshiba c665d
    dual core e300 processor 1.3 ghz
    3gb memory
    320 gb harddrive
    win 7 premium
    5hr battery life
    $328.00

acer aspire
    intel dualcore processorp6200 2.3 ghz
    4gb memory
    500gb hard drive
    win 7 premium
    5 hour battery
    $398.00

toshiba sattilite c655
    intel dual core proceesor b960
    4gb memory
    320gb hard drive
    windows 7 premium
    5.5 hour battery
    $398.00

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would personally stay away from acer.

If those are the choices I'd probably go with the c655

YOu could probably find an i5 with 500gb for about the same as the 655 though.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I'll agree with Bill on staying away from Acer...

(Alittle about me, to understand where Im coming from) I work for a nation wide general contractor as the IT support for the field. It is my responsibilty to setup and distribute computers to the field. Im tasked with finding cheap, functional laptops that will stand the test of time. We are HARD on our laptops, doing construction these laptops take abuse. Alot of dust, lifting, moving while running.. etc. Ive gone through alot of brands, and while most do decent, some fail horribly. Acer being one of them.

Toshiba used to be my favorite brand before using it on a larger scale. However using them here Ive noticed alot of Harddisk failures, as well as port ports detaching from the motherboard. They do alot better than Acer.

Now to what I recommend..

Gateway. A subsidiary of Acer.

They make VERY solid machines with up to date hardware at great prices. Going through Tigerdirect will get good prices too!

Ive sent out a dozen of these in the last 3 months - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...727&CatId=4938

They are FANTASTIC, its the laptop I use for tuning/logging (with the addition of a solid state harddrive)

They have alot of 15" options around $400 with keypads on board, which when entering tons of numbers is SUPER handy.

While a Core i5 is nice and whats new, its not needed for most tasks. We run mobile productivity apps, on top of standard office products, along with basic web browsing, and dont come close to touching todays average dual core.

Its memory that can really dog down a machine, having 4gb will help maintain stability and keep the computer quick. More memory the better.

The two dual cores in the toshibas above are low end dual cores. They will suffice but in a year or so you might have wished you went up a hundred bucks.

Give gateway a look and try, you will be very suprised in the build quality, battery life, thigh temperatures..
    Last edited by asb2106; 04-16-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    heres a 15" refurbished (I get alot refurbed when the price fits) gateway at 399

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...517&CatId=4965

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Gateway and Acer are like Chevy & GMC are to GM, as far as I can tell they are likely built in the same building and are both junk if one of them is junk. I'm looking at my 2 year old gateway now as I type on my 2 year old HP...the gateway failed within a few months of purchase and I have to purchase a new laptop in the meantime...my HP has treated me well, wifes Asus was also a good choice. It seems most laptop makers are going the route of the disposable cheap laptop that lasts a year or so and then just goes to shit.

I have used 2 Acers without issues, the only ones I've had.
    I prefer Dell and HP.
    Driver support for Dell is unbeatable. HP is very good also.

The most durable brand I know is Toshiba. I had 3 and they were used until they were too obsolete, but never failed. They were the venerable Satellite

Tuner in Training
    For something in a garage, nothing short of a Panasonic Toughbook if you will be taking it from car to car. May not be the latest hardware, still more than sufficient for HPT. And the touch screen works great.

They are pretty pricey, but used are reasonable. Toss in a ssd and they respond well.

I picked up an ASUS X44L from bestbuy, here, that I have been running HPT on. I have been very happy with how it has performed and its specs. I have dealt with ASUS' tech support for desktop parts and was very happy with their support. I haven't needed tech support for the laptop so no experience there. Only negative I have is that the battery life is only about 3hrs, but I run it full open on battery, I don't throttle it back at all.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Potential Tuner
    Alright got Dell Inspiron 15"

intel core i3-2350 processor
    6gb memory
    500gb hard drive
    win 7 premium(64 bit)
    bought from my cousin she had it from work,just waiting on summuit hptuner delivery. then all the real dumb questions will start.Thanks again

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Alright got Dell Inspiron 15"

intel core i3-2350 processor
    6gb memory
    500gb hard drive
    win 7 premium(64 bit)
    bought from my cousin she had it from work,just waiting on summuit hptuner delivery. then all the real dumb questions will start.Thanks again
    Sounds good man

Tuner in Training
    I'm sorry Bill but I have to stand behind my Gateway's.

While yes they might be made at a similar plant, they are made to different specs and standards.

I've been using Gateway and Lenovo exclusively for the better part of 6 years , and have NOTHING bad to say about gateway. They are leagues above acer, HP, dell, etc. Lenovo (old ibm) is still king

HP is plain junk. Their hardware is ok/ to mediocre at best, they load the computers with so much bloatware its not even funny anymore.

Toshiba has numerous issues with boards overheating in the past and blowing solder points for power connections.

Dell is getting better with bloatware, and I've used a few the last few months. I like their new designs and styles, with no disconcernable difference in quality from the past. Still good enough to get the job done, but troublesome enough to drive me nuts. Driver support is fantastic with dell, no doubt there. I use a decent amount of dell inspiron desktops at a company with ~ 40 users. They seem to be happy.

Ill repeat after saying this a year ago.

Try a gateway, and let loose the prejudice you may have. They were acquired by Acer, not started by Acer. Its like saying Jag's are no different than a ford when they were picked up by them. (i know ford doesnt own jag anymore)

They were made with different parts to different standards.

(left the boards here for a bit, few things in life popped up and had to put the cars on the side, but im back )
    Last edited by asb2106; 06-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Tony B
    02 TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2/4l60e
    01 2500 suburban 6.0/4l80e
    01 2500 suburban 8.1/4l80e