Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged Grand Am 3400

Senior Tuner

Supercharged Grand Am 3400

Hey guys, need some help if anyone is willing.

Supercharger went in yesterday and need some input or ideas as to what the hell is going on here...lol I managed to get it to idle, not well, but it will idle. Trims at idle are pretty close actually, but as soon as I put it in gear, trims go negative or positive to the tune of around 35% or so! So, shes going pig rich and if I try to pull away from a stop it bogs like crazy then all of a sudden it kicks in and pulls away. Then when comming to a stop all hell breaks loose. Sometimes it will die, but mostly the rpms will drop to lke 500, you can hear the poor tensioner going beserk, then it will kick in and idle OK.
    So, biggest issues right now seem to be trying to pull away from a stop, fuel trims going huge negative/positive, and comming to a stop. One time it will go rich, then it will go crazy lean when put in drive. Its insane! Look at the log I just did and see if you guys can figure this one out with me

This is a Vortech Belt Driven charger with a vac referenced BOV. If anyone can point me in the direction I need to go I will be forever in your debt guys.... ** Like I'm not already... hahhaha
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-24-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    ---
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-22-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Something to add, maybe it will trigger something with someone. Trims at idle in drive report -15%. I remove the full 15%, not even %half and it continues to read -15%. Tried removing 15% 3 times and it makes zero differnce to trims, they keep reading the same, -15%. Im completely stumped
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    At work now can't look at anything yet. Are the 2ndary o2 sensors hooked up and working properly with those headders.

Senior Tuner
    I figured it out guys! Removed the vac line from the BOV and all is fixed. The cam has just too much lope for that diaphram to handle. It was popping the valve open and closed causing insane turbulance across the MAF I figured. As soon as I removed the line it settled right in and works great now. Dialed in the fuel and timing a little while ago and it is running amazingly well!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Got any pics of this setup? I'm just curious to see what she looks like. Glad you got the vac line issue fixed. Would it help to put a crank case breather on? That way you can use the BOV?
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Ported SC/TB, Intense 3.4/3.25 Pulley's, SSAC Headers, AEM Uego Wideband, Devils Own Meth, ZZP 1.9 Modified Rockers, LS6 Springs, Manley Retainers, TransGo Shift Kit, Poly Dogbones, KYB GR2's, GMPP Brake and Suspension Upgrades, Springtech Springs.

Senior Tuner
    Of course!... lol I'll post a couple, need to load 'em on photobucket then I'll toss a couple up here.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner

Talking

2000 Trans Am WS6

Wow. Reminds me of the old Paxton/Novi setups! Pretty Cool! I'm not a huge 60* V6 guy but wow!

Ported SC/TB, Intense 3.4/3.25 Pulley's, SSAC Headers, AEM Uego Wideband, Devils Own Meth, ZZP 1.9 Modified Rockers, LS6 Springs, Manley Retainers, TransGo Shift Kit, Poly Dogbones, KYB GR2's, GMPP Brake and Suspension Upgrades, Springtech Springs.

Senior Tuner
    It's nuts for a GA thats for sure. Once I figured out that the BOV spring didnt have enough tension, the fix was to put just a slightly longer set screw in it. Worked great and now have the vac line back in so its bleeding pressure when it should. Vac was just too much for it like I said above. Its working real nice now man.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    How much did that set you back?

Senior Tuner
    The kit was around 4 grand. Then couple hundred having a proper shaft made, couple hunderd more upgrading seal and bearing. Had a performance shop here install them so I wouldn't mess it up, hundred there. Couplers and clamps around 2 hundred, filter and intake another 2 hundred. All told its around 5g's I figure
    Ive had this for 3 years now and finally got it all together and in. Thought I was dooped when that spring made things go insane...lol
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I bet. Wow. I'm sure it's fun!

Looks awesome!

I'm glad people still spend their money on GAs.

How are those shift times working? The 3-4 shifts are rather fast. .100 all across the board.

Senior Tuner
    Been that way HOYS for around 6 years man, since installing nice poly mounts from Milzy... lol Ive been pretty lucky with the little trans that couldn't! These 4t45's got such a bad wrap and as far as I can tell, its all in the tune. I have made hundreds of quarter runs on this thing, driven clear across the country a couple of times and a couple trips to the US in between. Even if this trans gives in with the new power it's taking, I would still never agree that the 45 is a p-o-s trans. It's like I said, just set it up for what's being thrown at it!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Then couple hundred having a proper shaft made....
    That's the coolest part. Took me a few seconds to figure out what that thing was. Thank god for some decent pics or else... And I agree, 10 angles definately would have been to many.
    Last edited by PopUpBlocker; 04-25-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Potential Tuner

hey buddy were did u get your elbow for the bov with the flange on it

Senior Tuner
    Custom made. Fabed one from aluminum and had an exhaust shop make it with pipe.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    Custom made. Fabed one from aluminum and had an exhaust shop make it with pipe.
    oh sweet and what injectors you running i got the same kit and can u send me your tune file if possible that would be very appreciated thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by popojijo View Post
    oh sweet and what injectors you running i got the same kit and can u send me your tune file if possible that would be very appreciated thanks
    Don't know if will do you any good. Stage II build, 560lift cam, stage 3 intake, 65mm throttle body, stage II heads with Z06 valve springs and 36lb injectors, headers, exhaust... the bloody works bud, the list goes on

Maybe it would be easier if I try to help you out on yours. Not too bad once you get into it
    2000 Trans Am WS6