Thread: LML Allison 1000 Swap

LML Allison 1000 Swap

Good evening fellow calibrators so I posted a few other places but looking at the possibility of swapping a LML Allison LCT 1000 in my 02 Duramax my original trans has seen tons of use over the years and she finally started to slip on the 3-4 shift due to a overheating issue from a converter solenoid not functioning properly on a haul.

I have access to a 2011 lml trans and transfer case and want to know if any one has ever attempted a swap in the 01-06 body trucks. There are quite a bit of differences I know from the bell housing to the transfer case itself. I?m no stranger to custom wiring and I have all the tools to make changes to the truck.

My original transmission I have already 6 speed swapped and have a proprietary calibration for it as well as the know how to make the changes need to the valve body.

Any info or attempts would be appreciated I?d love to hear about it.

I did get everything in last week and worked out in my little brothers 02 lb7 Duramax all parts operating and driving great hwy trans temp at around 160 degrees and city driving I Florida around 190. The 6 speed is operating great as it was prior in my 02 oe Allison 1000 case. Old trans had a stage 1 Florida torque converter and it was great. The new Allison Case I used a stage 2 Florida and it really hangs on going down hills feels like a triples disk like my old truck had. Got all the calibration work done and couldn't ask for a better shift schedule and operation from a older tcm setup. Truck now feels like driving the 2015 my uncle has and the engine calibration is great for more of a city / tow calibration. Fuel milage on hwy is around 22 to 24 mpg and city around 18 to 20 mpg, At 80 mph 6th gear is around 1900 - 2000 rpm vs 2250 - 2300 in 5th. The last thing i have left is to change my wiring connectors for the transfer case and get the awd function operating as well as 4hi and 4lo.

If anyone has anny questions about the swap and programming just let me know anything is possible when you think and do your research.

Potential Tuner
    Did you reprogram the 5 speed tcm to the 6 speed? If so how hard is it?

Potential Tuner
    I'm doing an lbz swap it has a 4l80e and going to allison in my k10 swap. so trying to figure out if I could make the 5 speed ecu control the 6 speed transmission before I buy the 5 speed tcm it is cheaper unless I have to send it out for tuning!

Great work! I would have thought it'd be a nightmare going so new to the older ECM.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Its been working great already went on a trip to Florida and back also been driving around town a lot since my little brother and me completed the install. I am using my original tcm and ecu to control the truck and trans will great results the 6 speed is silky smooth and strong when asked. I posted some pics of the project on a few duramax forums.

The swap to a 6 speed transmission is a great way to get more out of your 01-05 Allison equipped truck even on the 8.1. The truck will be quite on the hwy and more i its sweet spot. o 32.5 Nitto tires and the stock 3.73 gear set our 02 is at about 1900 to 1950 rpms @ 80 mph vs 2250 t0 2350 prior to the swap. Before I did the lml swap in the truck i was running the original LCT 1000 it came with. To make the older Allison a 6 speed I did a valve body swap to a 2011 lml VB but you can use either a 06-09 or 2010-2019 6 speed VB to make it happen. The calibration needs to be set up correctly due to the changes in the VB passages and flow rates. This can be done within your Allison Strategy using the original 01-05 TCM. diagnostic changed slightly in the 04.5-05 TCM as well as torque management but that isn't a huge deal. Also Allison calibrations are setup with a 4.10 gear ratio in the speedo section you ca either leave it alone or adjust it to your rear axle ratio I leave it most of the time and just calculate the tire size to the 4:10 ratio. Stock is around 680 I believe, if you do decide to change the tire in SPEEDO/TRANS TAB make sure you test drive and adjust both shift points and TC lockup when doing so. Failure to adjust TC lock up will result in a hot Allison and that's a recipe for disaster you wat that converter in normal to lock up as soon as you hit 3rd and in towhaul it can lock up in 2nd this will help keep the trans cooler. Our current setup runs around 150 to 160 HWY and 170 to 190 max City. If anyone has any questions id be happy to help steer you in the right direction. Fuel milage on our 02 LB7 is around 20 to 24 mpg and that's on my tow calibration the factory calibration on the LB7 is extremely conservative and there is a fair amount you can add to it without damaging the Allison or motor.

One Thing I hope HP TUNERS adds soon is the selectable Maps to the ecu as they have recently done in the Ford 6.0 and 04 Cummins stuff very cool and been waiting along time for them to do this.

Also it would be nice to have the TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTICS for the 04.5 to 05 LLY Allison the 01-04 LB7 trucks have it as well as the 06-09 not sure why the LLY is missing it?

Update: Transmission has bee running great been happy with the data and drivability just went on its second voyage to Florida and trans was smooth and staying cool on the hwy.

Tuner in Training
    This was good info. Thought i would pick your brains a little since you seem to be knowledgeable, are the allisons in the 17-19 l5ps the same as the lml's? can you just swap a lml trans into a first gen l5p? and Do you know what it takes to run a lml vb in a 07-10 lmm truck? And are you willing to sell trans tuning for something like what you did here with your lb7?

I can absolutely help you get a newer style 6 speed LCT 1000 transmission working in your 01-05 LB7 or LLY truck DM me and I can get you going in the right direction then send you a calibration file for operation of the LCT 1000 setup.

They are the same transmission from 2011 to 2019 but calibration and controllers differ on the L5P vs the LML, if you are wanting to go that route. Another option is to go with a 06-09 LCT 1000 Allison either one will work honestly from data and results the 06-09 is truly the stronger of the 2. But if you do the 11-19 trans a few other updates will need to be made as well as, you will have to run the 11-19 transfer case and electronics to your original 4wd module which I can also help you get installed and wired up correctly. With the 06-09 the original lb7 or LLY transfer case can be used and no changes will be need to the 4WD system. Just let me know what you are thinking of doing and we will get it done correctly and operating the way you want.

My brothers 02 LB7 Just took another trip to Florida this weekend that's 5 round trips in the last 2 months as well as tons of city driving and its working flawlessly. The trans temps are staying extremely low and fuel consumption is around 22-24 hwy and 18-20 city truck is just great. The shifts are crisp and smooth and converter lockup is fast and where it needs to be to last a long and happy life pulling and daily driving.

I started another post with some parts I recommend if you are interested in upgrading your current 01-05 Allison LCT 1000 to a 6 speed. Those are the parts I’d use if you want the trans to run good and last a long happy life.

Attached is a log from yesterday took the truck to summit racing on a few hour drive its silky smooth no slip ad the torque converter is on point. could use less injection timing but the truck moves for a stock no intake, no turbo, stock injector, DSL LB7. The only mods done to the truck is the CP3 has been bored out it has a sump fuel set up with 1/2 feed an lines, a FASS fuel Setup and a slightly bigger trans cooler.

As you can see in the log the transmission is happy and the truck drives like a new vehicle could use a little more sound deadening on the fire wall but hood is completely dyno matted. My little brother is very happy with his D-MAX and its his 4th one he loves the 02 LB7 even though she is old. Original Motor truck think its getting close to 300k we just swapped out the trans a 4 to 5 months ago since the original was old and needed a rebuild.

I attached a WOT Pull
    and some Cirty & HWY driving so you can see the difference in RPM vs a 5 speed version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I appreciate all the info you have shared with us on here.
    2008 Denali XL AWD LSA Blower
    2010 CTS-V
    2005 LLY Duramax SAS
    2015 Denali

All good guys im trying to steer people in the right direction with how to improve and install things that did not come like this from the factory here is a log from a few days ago its a little to much for the truck with it not being to modified im gonna dial it back at WOT, so my little brother does not tear up his newly installed transmission. He said its up there in power and he prior had a DSP 5 on his built 02 LB7 truck with a 250 HP race calibration from Duramax Tuner. The one I was running was good for longevity and pulled our John Deere 5100R with ease. This calibration would be more for a built trans D-MAX and not your factory stuff unless you want transmission issues eventually. It pushed 23 psi and I was told it had good fueling and a nice haze as it pulled into the upper RPM range and he knows his Duramax trucks.

All in all I appreciate him letting me play with the truck to get it optimal for daily use and long hauls its a great truck and the 6 speed update just makes it that much better.

2-24-24 MAX EFFORT.hpl
    Last edited by Lost0187; 03-01-2024 at 12:53 AM.
    King Ranch Expedition 5.4 3v 6R80 Coyote PCM , M112 Blower, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Green Cats, Aeromotive Regulated Return Fuel System, ID 1000 Injectors, Custom Interior Wiring, Track Apps, EPS mode adjustable, +6 Blower Pulley w/ Innovators West SFI Balancer, Afco Dual Fan ZL1 Heat Exchanger, Flex Fuel E85 0-60 5 secs 12.0 best quarter mile time.

Progress Report & Testing

Truck Is running great and trans has been just exceptional the other day my little brother took me over to Alabama on a 6 hr drive and ill tell you this that transmission is so smooth and you don't realize you are in a 2002 truck. With the 6 speed update the engine is so much happier & loves the HWY driving at 80 or above. I still have to turn down the power level thank god he doesn't drive like a maniac it has no ladder bars and the axle wants to wrap at 60% pedal or more the torque is insane with the cal im running but its way to much for a stock transmission. The fuel system is spitting out 26k rail pressure and a lot of fuel a near perfect transition from coal to haze ad not over the top like the guys who like that kind of stuff.

If anyone is interested or has questions im always happy to try and help.

Here is a log from a couple weeks ago when I took the truck ad it drove like a new Silverado was very happy with the transmission performance a few little things I want to adjust but truck has had this set up for close to 6 months now and had a 6 speed swap prior using the original trans before that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    King Ranch Expedition 5.4 3v 6R80 Coyote PCM , M112 Blower, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Green Cats, Aeromotive Regulated Return Fuel System, ID 1000 Injectors, Custom Interior Wiring, Track Apps, EPS mode adjustable, +6 Blower Pulley w/ Innovators West SFI Balancer, Afco Dual Fan ZL1 Heat Exchanger, Flex Fuel E85 0-60 5 secs 12.0 best quarter mile time.