Thread: first tune on stock ls1

Potential Tuner

Talking first tune on stock ls1

I have a boringly stock camaro ss convertible and just bought HP tuners, what is a good tune for my ls/what changes should I make? Totally new to the tuning thing altogether let alone picking parameters! Any advice would be great!

2002 SS Camaro 'vert cursed with the "s" word
    Soon to change, umi 3 point sub frame ties in the mail!

Potential Tuner

Volant CAI

I have a Vert too! I love it, it's a T/A though same difference. Best first item I did was get a Volant, followed with a Borla Catback with RaceReady cutout (instead of plates) big change in power/ tuned and WOW! The CAI made a huge difference though seriously Bang For Buck that's a great mod. Also First thing I did was reduce torque management 50% and copied the shift tables from a 04 GTO LS1/ made a huge big change seat of the pants wise when shifting. Thats if you have an auto. Cheers

Also you will love the UMI / I have OEM C5 wheels and tires on my T/A and wheel hop was bad till I modded the suspension, especially in second gear
    Last edited by jdubb; 05-03-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Nice car!
    Yeah I have an auto, sounds like the best way to get started is exhaust and intake before a tune. Can you tell me where I can find the shift table at or do you have a link for the download? I came to hp tuners thinking we'd all just share tunes, but I'm thinking I will have to get the pro version and trial and errorr it! Any newbie info would be great! Cheers!

35th anniversary vert, with the "s " word and slushbox... HP tuners and umi connectors in mail

Potential Tuner
    Check the tune repository if you are just wanting to copy and paste the trans properties. However, I would recommend using that to start. Then tailor the shifts to your liking.

Run the 98 LS1 timing(-3) and work your way up to 28* without knock, shift heat soak tables one temp cell hotter, disable TQ management, increase shift pressure, decrease desired shift time, reduce PE delay, and increase enrichment rate.
    TSP H/C 430WHP

Potential Tuner
    Once doing this, what can you also do to increase fuel economy?