Thread: How come no 3800 Monte Carlo files?

Arrow How come no 3800 Monte Carlo files?

Just picked up a 1998 Monte Carlo 3.8 auto that I'm looking at tuning. I've owned it for a few weeks now and have put almost 3000 miles on it, averaging 24-25mpg on an engine with 153k miles. This aint bad at all for a heavy V6 car but I know other friends who have owned Monte Carlos of the same or similar make/model with the 3.8L and they were getting almost 30mpg highway. I'd like to try to boost up highway MPG soon because this Monte Carlo will soon be taken across the country on a 1600 mile trip at the end of the summer.

A few questions to the n/a 3800 owners...what gains are you seeing by tuning, and what has made the most significant impact on driveability and feel? What's up with the age old look of all the charts compared to Gen III V8 stuff? Any trans tables you'd recommend for spirited driving above 70% throttle? This is a family car so I'd like to keep things timid, but for sure change stoich to reflect Minnesota's E7% ethanol average.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

Tuner in Training
    post your file and some scans.

Senior Tuner
    42-44* timing at cruise & trans tuning will net the best MPG gains in the 6's for sure. They are terrible stock! Most of what you'll get in MPG will be from the trans. Because the 6's will use your NB to adjust trims anyway when not in PE, use the NB to tune to the break point and then your WB to tune PE mode. Shift pressure, shift timing and TCC max and min are the tables that you want to hit for starters
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    post your file and some scans.
    Don't have one yet because I haven't hooked up to this car. Been a little crazy lately moving, getting married and starting a new job. I wanted to start this post for people to start talking about these 3800's.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide