Thread: 2007 colorado 3.7

Tuner in Training

2007 colorado 3.7

need help with my first tune. truck has k&n cai, borla cat back, and jet tb spacer. would like to get max horse power with no damage to the engine and firm up the shifts some. need to now just how big or small increments or percentages to start adjusting the torque management, airflow, shift points,spark and fuel or any thing else i should look at. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Please don't start unnecessary threads. Then don't bring u anything faster here. Just wait and the helpers will come.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    do i have to have my laptop on battery power before i can hook it up to my truck

a few things about hptuners program. the initial read time is anywhere from 16-25min based on two things, your computers speed capability and the ecu's transfer speed.

because this takes along time and the alternator wont be charging because its a key on/engine off operation you would want to have a battery charger on the cars battery so you dont loose charge and risk initial file corruption.

also if your computer goes down to an x ammount of power the signal can also be corrupted during the transfer....trust me ive done this one before. so the best and highly recommeded way to download the initial file is to keep your laptop on the charger using an extension cord. if you draw from the vehicle using a accessory conversion charger you will take power from the car and as in scenario first stated you risk file corruption.

before you touch or change anything in your ecu make sure you copy the file you initialy downloaded and hide the origional in a place you will remember but will not touch it. also as said in your other post by other known tuners here, do not touch any of your tunes settings until you know 1) what table calibrates what sensor 2) what tables directly effect which specific other tables(many of the adjustments can require the calibration of 2 or more other tables as well to make a correct change) 3) what are the minimums and maximums for adjusting the tables 4) what values you need to watch after you make an adjustment so you dont damage your engine (or trans for auto guys) 5) make sure you have a proper wideband before you start(aem, innovate, along those lines) it makes everything that much easier when it comes to making adjustments that can effect fuel consumption.

if you have a table that looks like one from a v8 model, chances are it works darn near the same so also dont skip over threads listed in the v8 section as they may also have answers to some questions as well. i have personally crossreferenced aftermarket cam idle quality and large fuel injector setups from the v8 section to use on 4 cyl and 6 cyl vehicles. every section here is a goldmine of information so use all of it.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for your help and time

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    a few things about hptuners program. the initial read time is anywhere from 16-25min based on two things, your computers speed capability and the ecu's transfer speed.
    P12 pcm's such as those found in Colorado, Canyon, Cobalt SS/SC, etc. take 2-4 minutes to read in most cases.

You can thank Bosch for your Cobalt SS/TC long read times
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

well thats a nice fun fact
    this bosh pcm is a love hate deal... /

do the p12's just have a short read time or do other ecus like the one from my 02 tahoe 5.3 have those as well? when i downloaded my tahoe it took 14.5 min and my uncles pontiac 3800 gtp(gxp?) whichever has the sc that took a full 17 min but it had auto trans as well so maybe that added time to the download? i got a brand new asus gaming laptop so its def not the computer.

all of my initial read entires have taken me an average of 14-16 min so thats reason behind my post. i learned something today though so its all good.

My inital read on my 07 Colorado to close to 20 minutes. Also I thought we should not have a battery charger hooked up during read & write. If your truck battery is fully charged (12.6v) you should not have a problem. If it is low recharge it before you read & write to pcm.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigR View Post
    My inital read on my 07 Colorado to close to 20 minutes. Also I thought we should not have a battery charger hooked up during read & write. If your truck battery is fully charged (12.6v) you should not have a problem. If it is low recharge it before you read & write to pcm.
    When I was tuning I did a couple of colorado's/Canyon's and one thing that was recommended was pulling the radio fuse(I think its #32 on the fuse block) also the 07 pcm is a 2mb one rather than 1mb so it might take a little longer but 20 mins is likely because of some additional chatter on the bus, not a software issue on our end making it take so long

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    well thats a nice fun fact
    this bosh pcm is a love hate deal... /

do the p12's just have a short read time or do other ecus like the one from my 02 tahoe 5.3 have those as well? when i downloaded my tahoe it took 14.5 min and my uncles pontiac 3800 gtp(gxp?) whichever has the sc that took a full 17 min but it had auto trans as well so maybe that added time to the download? i got a brand new asus gaming laptop so its def not the computer.

all of my initial read entires have taken me an average of 14-16 min so thats reason behind my post. i learned something today though so its all good.
    95% of the pcm's we cover should read out in 2-4 minutes, any longer and theres likely additional chatter on the bus that is dropping you in and out of high speed mode creating for a longer read time.

could an open door cause chatter on the can line if the door module reports on the can?
    i turn everything off and let it read with a door or two open while i periodically check on it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Highly unlikely.

ok
    all good info thanks bill