Thread: 6L80E transmission tuning question

Tuner

6L80E transmission tuning question

im going through my trans tune in anticipation of running a 3200 stall converter. i went through all of the auto shift stuff, now im working on the TCC convertor lockup apply and release points. im not finished with this trans tune yet, and the car is schedule to be dyno tuned next weekend.

i drive the car irregularly on the street (its a cammed and ported 2010 camaro SS), so i want changed the shift points to keep the car in the 1600-1800 rpm range while driving to avoid any loading up of fuel that may occurr in normal driving mode, and i made sport and tatd modes much more agressive for track use. for the normal setup, that means i also changed the points that it shifts into 5th and 6th gear up a bit in mph. i set the convertor to lock up in specific gears at specific miles per hour to hold the 1600-1800 rpm also.

while reading the tuning schools transmission tuning booklet for this transmission - page 27, i noticed it states to basically max out the values from 0-75% on the apply rows for 3rd and 4th gear, but also says not to change anything over 75% because that keeps the convertor locked up for wide open throttle.

when i look at the stock numbers, it says the the converter doesnt lock up in 4th gear untill 90 mph, at 4500 rpm approx.
    5th is similar.

my question is, is there a certain rpm or power point that i would want to lock up the convertor for these +75% throttle events (keeping in mind i have a 3200 stall converter)?

Tuner
    My 2011 Camaro would lock up in 2nd and 3rd gears at WOT even though the Apply/Release tables shouldn't have allowed it. Somehow the Full Throttle tables work in conjunction with them and "override" them at WOT.
    I've read before that most have found success locking once you get past peak torque, even in 3rd gear. Are you sure you're converter can handle the WOT lockup?
    Also, you're probably going to need to look at making some changes to the Apply Ramp and Regulator Offset for the TCC Pressure. There are a couple of good threads on this forum regarding that.

Just being nosy, but what cam are you running and what converter are you going with?
    I've got the Lingenfelter GT11 since I wanted something really mild that would be good for a blower. I'm still running the stock converter for now.

Tuner
    its a yank 3200 convertor, with a vvt-2 cam. 277 .615 intake, 285 ,6120 exhaust. im guessing its going to be somewhere around 515 / 535 crank hp. ill know for sure next weekend.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
    my question is, is there a certain rpm or power point that i would want to lock up the convertor for these +75% throttle events (keeping in mind i have a 3200 stall converter)?
    I have a Yank 3200 in my 08 Corvette. I have my tables set so I get no lockup in 1-4 gears at part or WOT. And only in 5th and 6th at 12% throttle. The less it locks and unlocks the longer it will last. Keep in mind this converter is smaller than stock so it's not going to take the abuse of a stock converter.