Thread: Trying to figure out why i can't get spark timing any higher

Tuner

Trying to figure out why i can't get spark timing any higher

I've looked and looked and i'm unable to get my WOT spark timing above a scaled range of 24-26 deg adv timing... i saw a table that reduced the spark timing by 40% depending on the amount of torque the pcm saw (mine in one scan i did was over 500 ft lbs) so i took those down and still unable to figure out why... is it something i've done during my wot maf tuning? is it a table i missed? or am i not able to get anything else than this? i've seen other cars similar to mine (grand prix's) get around 30 deg. timing at WOT no issues with proper tuning...

i've had the spark adv for when i'm in WOT well over 41 deg in the table and still won't advance any higher than the 24-26

scan and latest tune file are provided... thanks in advance!

Senior Tuner
    "Torque Management: General: Spark Retard" 0 that out to dissable all Torque Management. I also will set "Torque mamangement: Abuse: Differential Abuse" to speed min of 256. See if that has any effect on your results there
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    "Torque Management: General: Spark Retard" 0 that out to dissable all Torque Management. I also will set "Torque mamangement: Abuse: Differential Abuse" to speed min of 256. See if that has any effect on your results there
    thank you good sir... always a pleasure i'll let you know how it turns out

Tuner
    did what ya told me and added 4 degrees into the table and no adjustments whatsoever so yet again stumped since it's 24-26 deg adv timing... scan and log below... can only upload 5 so i did the first and the last edits i did in the scans and tunes... thanks again as always guys

Tuner in Training
    Your air or fuel is way off, sort that out first.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matt5112 View Post
    Your air or fuel is way off, sort that out first.
    i'm guessing your talking for the maf airflow vs output frequency table.... found out i had dried out valve seals while replacing the valve cover gaskets the other day so gonna start from stock maf and go from there... we'll see how this turns out.

Just trying to piece together some info about the car to help me figure out whats going on. I see from your scan details that the car is an '04 Grand Prix, assuming its supercharged, but the calibration details show the OS to be from a normally aspirated 2001 Impala as far as I can tell...why the car/calibration mismatch? Is this correct?

Tuner in Training
    You appear to be running boost with 22 lb injectors.

Fuel trims are very negative.

IDC in one log is 110%.
    Last edited by matt5112; 07-10-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Senior Tuner
    You are running out of injectors @ 5000rpm
    Fuel Trims way negative
    Running SC on a 1bar OS is going to make it harder.

i wouldn't worry about getting more Spark until you get the Injectors and fuel trim sorted out
    and I would def NOT be going WOT until you have.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Hewitt View Post
    Just trying to piece together some info about the car to help me figure out whats going on. I see from your scan details that the car is an '04 Grand Prix, assuming its supercharged, but the calibration details show the OS to be from a normally aspirated 2001 Impala as far as I can tell...why the car/calibration mismatch? Is this correct?
    seems i might have the wrong scans uploaded.... lemme double check since i tune 2 n/a cars (my own and a gpgt) and 2 boosted gen v's

yup that would be the wrong scans so that is a big my bad on that part and i apologize for the noob maneuver... reuploading scans from my impala now

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    You are running out of injectors @ 5000rpm
    Fuel Trims way negative
    Running SC on a 1bar OS is going to make it harder.

i wouldn't worry about getting more Spark until you get the Injectors and fuel trim sorted out
    and I would def NOT be going WOT until you have.
    ya that 04 grand prix needs injectors bad so he's acquiring cash funds for 60 lbs... trying to lean him that way before he goes from rockers to a cam swap so he has the proper fueling available