Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1.4T Cruze/Sonic Tuning Thread - Where to begin

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    its a timing retard table.. if you make it zero no harm will be done. if you get kr in the areas the table has calculations for then you will either have to manually remove them from the main tables or re-enable that table.
    Thanks for the reply. Thats exactly what I ended up doing, zeroed table and manually removed a little KR from High octane table.
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    its a timing retard table.. if you make it zero no harm will be done. if you get kr in the areas the table has calculations for then you will either have to manually remove them from the main tables or re-enable that table.
    I think it was Chris that pointed out that table on this forum and I don't recall if anyone figure out why it existed. Does GM know something about that cylinder?
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    GM knows everything they designed it (not to be smart with you, just a true fact)
    Chris knows alot more than i about this ecu so i wouldn't doubt him knowing a little bit more about this table. Smart Man he is....
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

It was Chris that pointed pionted it out earlier in this thread.
    If I had to guess, cylinder "0" means all 4 cylinders.

Advanced Tuner
    Damn, these things are so easy to tune.

Tuner in Training
    Does someone want to share a mpg or a performance tune with me so I have a starting point? I'm familiar with the 11 ctsv and diesel stuff, but this turbo/new ecu setup is all greek. I'm running a 13 sonic turbo 6speed...

PM me if you have something you don't mind sharing, I won't post it or sell it or crap like that.

JC

I have not seen a Sonic file here yet, but there are a couple Cruze files around here.

Tuner in Training
    I have one of the performance cruze files and it's interesting, but I'm really looking for a super mpg one to work from...

Advanced Tuner
    I averaged 39MPG over 50+ miles at an average speed of 75MPG in my car the other day. I imagine it is a combo of the warmer weather and possibly my tune allowing a little more boost that did it.

I'll be more than happy to share my tune once I feel "done" with it. I've really spent very little time and I'm still working on a good scanner setup and figuring out how these things work. Looking at my logs, I hit 219kpa max recorded by the b

Tuner in Training
    I'd be interested to see your file. I assume you were using the dash to tell you the MPG since it was such a short distance, you wouldn't have been able to hand figure it right? My dash was wildly off...the 1st tank it told me 31 and I got 39 hand figured, then I reset the fuel trims after playing with the tune, put the stock tune back in and now the dash is actually pretty close to hand-figured #s all of the sudden.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    I averaged 39MPG over 50+ miles at an average speed of 75MPG in my car the other day. I imagine it is a combo of the warmer weather and possibly my tune allowing a little more boost that did it.

I'll be more than happy to share my tune once I feel "done" with it. I've really spent very little time and I'm still working on a good scanner setup and figuring out how these things work. Looking at my logs, I hit 219kpa max recorded by the b

Tuner in Training
    Seriously looking for a Econ tune for the sonic...going to be running 2k miles in the next few days, would love to see what it's capable of. The performance tune I snagged from the cruze didn't seem to make any noticeable difference in either performance or mpg, so I went back to stock....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Instead of clogging up the other thread, i figured we should start our own thread for others to find info easier.

- Attached is my stock tune and my current modified tune.

- You can do a compare against my stock tune to see what i have changed.

- Here is a rundown on the things that have made what i feel is a giant impact on performance.

Background: I had a aftermarket tuning solution in the car the last 6 months and while it def made a difference i didnt think it was as refined as it could have been. Wicked lean till 3500 rpm, surging under WOT which i found to be the result of a 10.3:1 AFR once above 4500 and 5-6 degrees of advance, with slight KR. Also i didnt like how fast the throttle ramped in, it was not linear at all! My car has an Injen CAI as the only other mod.

Starting with factory stock tune...

So here is where i started. I raised the TM functions (engine peak torque and brake torque) well above what i would see on the scanner for output torque.

Next was getting the AFR in line. i tweaked the pedal % for PE to be enabled to come in sooner. @ WOT I commanded about 12.2 coming in down low vs the 15.7-16.0 from 2500 thru 3500 and played with the maf scale in the proper hz range to get that to be where i needed it.

Next i moved to top end WOT and commanded a 11.7 AFR and then dialed in the maf hz range again to get this close. At this point NIGHT AND DAY performance increase with no other changes.

The car drove WAYYYYYYYY better than it ever had, the power delivery was linear and responsive. Best of all NO MORE WOT SURGING! and i didnt even have to re-gap my plugs from or to factory specs as others indicate being required to fix certain issues.

Next thing i attacked was the timing tables, i basically went against the grain here and got rid of other factors that alter the advance at WOT with the exception of the KR. I did get rid of timing adjustments for the variable cam spark too @ wot only. Next unorthodox thing i did was try ti get rid of/limit burst knock intervention. Now with all that done i start feeding 10 degrees into it then ramping up to 12. Its taking this timing too in 90 degree heat on just pump 93 and at stock boost level which appears to be about 15.5 psi. I see 1-2 degree spikes of KR here and there and i left it at that for now.

The top end pull is NOW how i feel it should be! it doesnt plain off at 4500 anymore and feel vauge thru 6k like it used to.

I havent dabbled with the boost much yet as im still trying to grasp the theory of the control methods, all i did thus far was raise the max boost levels and up the duty cycle about 5% and that brought the boost to 16.7 psi, so i gained about 1 psi doing that. Ran out of time to go further. I also left the dynamic airflow setting where they were for now too.

To sum it all up, even in 90 degree heat, the car is a riot to drive now! i can feed power in with my foot instead of it all showing up instantly and feeling that flooring the pedal actually makes a difference lol. And the car i feel is FASTER on 'close to" stock boost than it ever was with the other solution on its hottest setting which i logged to be about 21 psi. I compare the 3rd gear pull the car has to that of an LS1 f-body, obviously not that fast but thats where it does its dirty work now, feeling wise.

I should have some time this week to get my car on the dyno see where im at, its reporting a steady 165-173 ft/lbs across the whole power band thru the scanner now.

Its also worth noting too, that injen intake with the tube near the maf yet has NOT skewed my maf readings at or near idle, nor part throttle. havent changed from stock and they are -1.6 @ idle and -2.3 during cruise and 0 @ wot. They were approaching -15 at idle and -7.6 during cruise and WOT with the other solution.
    did you ever refine your tune, with the surging over the holiday?

Tuner in Training

questions galore, kinda

hey fellas, new to the thread cause I just bought a 2016 Sonic LT turbo.

attached is the log of my car and a top speed run in 42 degree weather.

If anyone can tell me what I need to look for to see max boost, I would appreciate it.

I am new to all of this tuning stuff and would like to begin learning on this little rig since I just bought it, and HP tuners at about the same time.

Thanks in advance to those who offer help.

As far as I can tell, besides the heater not working and my fingers being a bit numb, the car is all stock and original with 12x,xxx on the odometer.
    Attached Files Attached Files