Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot fix lean issue 1st 2nd gear '09 Cobalt

Tuner

Cannot fix lean issue 1st 2nd gear '09 Cobalt

Car is a 2009 Cobalt 2.2L eco 5 speed manual

I loaded up the scan if that even helps. I've been trying everything. I did notice that the power enrichment activated at ~92% and the car was only going to ~83% so I knocked it down to 60%....no change

Disabled all torque management that was available to adjust and no change. You command tons of fuel down low and it doesn't make a difference

From a dig its not as bad but the problem is still there. From a 5 mph roll it'll stay at ~14.9 through first and 2nd...then in 3rd it drops to the actual commanded AFR.

My only guess is that there's another TQ mgmt table thats not on my beta version?

Have you did a MAF calibration? do you have an intake? What does your Base table look like?

Tuner
    We put the car back to stock to rule out the intake/MAF placement. So in stock trim with stock tune we get the lean condition. Did not touch the Maf table or any other table for that matter since we restarted from scratch. So far I just killed the torque management.

Added: But the first time around when we did change the MAF table it made no difference for the lean condition.
    Last edited by Dusty05; 06-19-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    what happens if you fail the maf out and run it in SD/alpha n mode?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    what happens if you fail the maf out and run it in SD/alpha n mode?
    Tried this also, I can answer that. lol

Still had the 1-2 lean issue AND the RPMS were very jumpy under load. It did not like that at all.

Tuner
    Deep down I really believe its a TQ management issue because once its under way the AF is dead on

ok well i did see it cruise at 50* advance around 1200-1500rpm which was kinda weird do you have a current tune we can look through. get you a few more eyes to see if you missed traction control or if we see something else

50* advance: frames 4011=4159
    time 1:38 - 1:44
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 06-19-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Tuner
    ok well i did see it cruise at 50* advance around 1200-1500rpm which was kinda weird do you have a current tune we can look through. get you a few more eyes to see if you missed traction control or if we see something else

50* advance: frames 4011=4159
    time 1:38 - 1:44
    Yeah I noticed that too. This is a XFE Model, maybe GM cranked up the cruise timing on these?

I'll upload the current tune when I get home.

try to put the factory 09 2.2 in the repository as well. i dont think anyone has uploaded one, its just 2.0T
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 06-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Tuner
    try to put the factory 09 2.2 in the repository as well. i dont think anyone has uploaded one, its just 2.0T
    Yeah I noticed that as well last night. I'll be sure to do that with the most recent GM updates

Tuner
    Here is its stock file and here is the file where we only tried to pull tq management, lowere enrichment tps % to 60%, and commanded 1.13 EQ ratio across the board to better figure out this issue.

Lean 1-2 occurs with either tune.

are you sure this isnt a 2.4 it has variable cams wich are not in the 2.2's iirc?
    torque management can still be active. try defining the maximum and minimum engage and disengage limits for the traction systems. raise rpmxgear and limit per gear to maximum values. lift brake torque limit to max. under supercharger settings its not fitted but the abuse system is still active (enabled spark, fuel, etc you will see what i mean). you can turn your enrichment rate to the max as well the value should be 2 i think(best explanation is in the v8 section just do a forum search for enrichment rate)

i guess thats a start

Tuner
    are you sure this isnt a 2.4 it has variable cams wich are not in the 2.2's iirc?
    torque management can still be active. try defining the maximum and minimum engage and disengage limits for the traction systems. raise rpmxgear and limit per gear to maximum values. lift brake torque limit to max. under supercharger settings its not fitted but the abuse system is still active (enabled spark, fuel, etc you will see what i mean). you can turn your enrichment rate to the max as well the value should be 2 i think(best explanation is in the v8 section just do a forum search for enrichment rate)

i guess thats a start
    I believe variable cams started in '09, they got a big power jump I know. I'll try this tonight, thanks for the advice!

If you want to get the commanded afr you are going for you will need to set the dynamic settings a lot lower then that. With the maf and ve blending together getting commanded afr will be hard unless you tune both tables. You could always set the dynamics to 300 disable and reenable to 200 tune maf then move it up to 3k if you really want them to blend or just leave it set at 300 and run only maf. Also this computer might be one of the ones the will only show 83% throttle but it really is at 100%.

the disable is at 7000 so it never really sees any maf, go factory tunes.

It does see maf just maf and map at same time real pain in butt.

ahh

Tuner
    Well I tried your idea laser racer and its still giving me the same outcome in the end. At about 5000 rpm it jumps down to calculated a/f like it should, but its that first 2-4k rpm where its ~14.7. If you peg it in low gear it jump down calculated a/f ~12.5 then lean itself back up to ~14.7. We can give it outrageous amounts of fuel in the maf or even the injector table and its 100% ignored until ~5000 rpm. I've tuned ~30 cars now and none an issue quite like this, but ones with similiar issues it turned out to be hidden torque management. I wish there was someone out there who has tuned a 2.2 LAP motor before...lol

nice adjustable cams on a 2.2 wha wha....and torque management is the same for darn near every vehicle. turn the fitted options all to dissable and raise the enable limits to the maximum threshold so it never gets crossed.
    so read every descripition to the traction system values and adjust them to their limits to dissable the system.

Found the missing usb cable lol. Try this tune and see if it is in better. Once you try it though post a log up so the tune can be adjusted.
    Last edited by laser_racer; 06-19-2012 at 10:11 PM.