Thread: another noob...

Advanced Tuner

another noob...

I'm ordering the software on friday. Now, I will be able to trap full logs of my car? How will I start tuning? I know NOTHING about tuning. I'm thinking I'll start messing with transmission and posting questions, anyone got a good writeup? I'm very worried, because I will be doing a heads/cam very soon and am going to need tuning for them, but I don't know anything. Just want to learn thanks.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

Re: another noob...

Take it slow and every thing will be ok. Learning to tune requires lots of reading. This place is an awesome resource, also there is tons of help over on ls1tech.com. ls1tuning.com is also another good resource. ls1tuning.com has different forums for beginner, advanced, cruise, etc... We hope to soon have a write up of where to start and what to do, but until then, ask questions and read a lot! You should also start with the HP Tuners help file, it explains a lot of the features and will answer a lot of your questions too.
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Advanced Tuner

where is that help file? Sorry for stupid questions. :huh2:
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

You can actually download it now, there is a link on the products page towards the top under the 1. 2. 3. thing.

http://www.hptuners.com/products.html
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Now, I will be able to trap full logs of my car?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "full" logs. You can log 24bytes at a time which I usually find to be about 22 different PIDs because some PIDs take up more than one byte.

How will I start tuning?
    Start by logging with the scanner so you can get an idea where you're at. After that make very small changes at a time and watch what they do with the scanner. The first thing you're going to want to start paying attention to are the LTFTs (Long Term Fuel Trims). That will give you a good idea how out of wack the base tune is from what the engine wants.

It's hard just starting out and getting your feet wet but Magic_Chicken is correct that you can't beat reading as much as you can. Even if you don't understand it read it anyways. Later on when you have a problem you'll start to remember things you've seen. When you have questions post them, that's what this forum is here for.

-Mike
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires