Thread: critique my tune...

critique my tune...

Any advice or constructive criticism would be great ( be gentle Im still considered a noob ) Im still dialing in my WOT fueling but other than that I haven seen anything wrong with AFR, KR or any of my other numbers thus far...

Mods: e85, 2.8, 8 rib, S2IC, rockers, full exhaust... tuning in open loop

thanks to any and all comments as Im here to learn more just like everyone...

Tuner in Training
    Matt's right

JK.

see how paranoid I was??? lol

Senior Tuner
    Are you guys finding crusing at 50* timing is ok? That seems a little high.... most I put into a 3800 is 44*, thats why I ask
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner
    I'd smooth out the MAF curve a little more and I'm surprised at the 50* timing as well but I don't have any E85 tuning experiene so if it works for you go for it.

Are you using a wideband? 60# injectors programmed like 42#s for the E85?

The trans fluid pressures are set extremely high. With the torque reduction master enables set to disable, those settings used to throw the transmission into default pressure mode and shift like a rock. Not sure if HPT corrected that but again I've seen DIY tunes kill their 65Es doing that. If you want to disable TM, I'd reenable the master enables, leave the reduction table and spark lookup table in engine>TM zeroed out.

HTH

That 50* timing is also with a gas AFR of ~16.2 and still doesn knock... would try to go higher if the pcm would let me...

Yes I have my wideband (still finishing up the maf smoothing) and my injectors are set to the numbers a couple guys on here advised me to go with on E85 when I made the switch and it seems to be working great...

Overkill- I really haven had any issues with the trans settings the way they are (little to no slip/ no overheating) but will try the TM adjustments as you said and will see what happens.... HPT must have corrected whatever issue there was in the beta...

meant to add on the injectors that seems to be working on our cars is just take whatever injector you are running and subtract 30% (60x.3=18, 60-18=42)....

Tuner in Training
    Why does the IFR spike up just before boost?

Why is stoich 15.3?

Why is there no PE add vs TPS?

Why is there no PE add vs time?

Why is torque management on shifts removed as well as the master off?

Quote Originally Posted by matt5112 View Post
    Why does the IFR spike up just before boost?

Why is stoich 15.3?

Why is there no PE add vs TPS?

Why is there no PE add vs time?

Why is torque management on shifts removed as well as the master off?
    1. What table are you looking at for the IFR spike? Flow Rate vs KPA?

2. Originally I changed the stoich trying to run leaner on e85 only to find that changing the stoich does nothing as the trims will always shoot for 14.7 regardless of what it says in the stoich table... So I just never changed it back and is why I now tune in OL....

3/4. I was told to leave those zeroed out as it kept the afr more consistent.

5. Why not?

If you have suggestions or Im wrong please let me know... Im still learning so Im going off of what Ive read and what others have suggested whether it be through threads like this or pms....

Tuner in Training
    1 IFR is Injector Flow Rate. If anything, your injectors will flow less in boost, not more. They should always flow the same though.

2 PCM doesn't look for 14.7. It looks to jump across the switch point of the narrowband. This will read as 14.7 on your gasoline calibrated WB. Sadly our PCMs do not operate in lambda or equivalence ratio, thus everything would have to be converted to match the stoich you insert. Other issue is the stoich of E85 changes all of the time. If you wanted that portion to be accurate you'd have to constantly measure the fuel and change all tables in PCM that reference AFR.

Again relates back to lambda/ER, if the PCM used that, you would only have to change stoich. Better yet, if the PCM would support an ethanol sensor, it could correct automatically.

Without that, you'll be forced to change your tune based on the fuel either way you approach it.

3 If your transient fueling is accurate, then you should be fine. Otherwise, that's typically what people use to get there. That combined with a much lower PE.

4 Good practice to add some fuel for extended WOT runs. Of course you'd leave that out when tuning to make analysis a little easier.

5 It helps the transmission complete the shift by temporarily reducing torque via timing.

1. So youre saying all the tables should be the same number? or just scaled the opposite way?
    2. I realize what youre saying, but if I stay in OL and just scale the maf via the wideband (which measures in lambda), that should rule out making most of those changes I would normally have to make due to the fact the pcm doesnt use it unless in CL... So in OL it wouldnt matter if I changed the tables or not as the pcm doesn use them unless in CL... right? (sorry if thats not clear)
    3. Gotcha, not necessary but usually helpful...
    4. Makes perfect since.... will play with that when Im done with the maf...
    5. But if youre not having shifting problems why would you want to reduce torque?

thanks for the help

Tuner in Training
    1) You should monitor fuel pressure then insert what your injectors actually flow.

You should have 50.5 PSI of fuel pressure at 0 MAP, subtract 1 PSI for every PSI of manifold vacuum and add one PSI for every psi of boost. If your fuel pressure follows that trend, injector flow will be the same for all values of that table.

2) All I'm saying is you'll have to constantly make changes anyways. Just a matter of where you want to make them.

5) Monitor shift times with and without shift torque management and see what works best with your particular setup.