Thread: Newbie - where to begin?

Potential Tuner

Newbie - where to begin?

After researching on numerous forums, I have decided to go ahead with my order of HP Tuners package. My question is as follows: I am completely clueless where to even begin? I have very few mods on my C5 (intake, exhaust, soon headers). What should I begin to look at?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Newbie - where to begin?

The first thing you are going to want to do is start using the "scanner" to datalog, this way you can get a feel for what the car is doing and what might need to be altered.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Potential Tuner

Thanks for the advice. I guess it makes sense to begin with gathering as much data as I can, and then I can sift through it to see what can be changed. I'll do that. Since my drive on a daily basis is pretty much the same, a weeks worth of data should sufice, if it can capture that much. Thanks for the advice.

If you drive the car everyday and haven't made any changes to it (as far as performance parts) in the last week or so then it should be in a state where you can get all the info you need from maybe just you drive to work. How long would that be? A good 20-30 minutes under various conditions will be more than enough. A weeks worth would take forever to dig through and it would most likely all be very similar. You want to first get a general idea of where you fuel trims are so you can get an idea of how far off the tune is. What car is it and what is done to it?
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Potential Tuner

I have a 2000 Vette, and as of this upcoming weekend I will have a vararam intake in it. The exhaust and headers are a few weeks out (can only make so much time).

My drive to work is about 30 miles, all highway, which is my typical drive very few stop and go's, its kind of nice that way.

Before you put the intake on get some logging in that way you can see if/how the intake affects fuel trims and such. While logging try to run the motor at various loads and rpms. Use the histogram feature while logging and watch your LTFTs. Try to hit as many cells as possible. Then put the intake on and give the car a couple of days to adjust. Then log again.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a: