Thread: Open loop and Closed loop

Advanced Tuner

Open loop and Closed loop

I understand what OL and CL, Ok well i was asking myself I know i can tune my VE and leave it runing on SD or tune my MAF and let it running on pure MAF but my question is if i leave it running on either one can i let it on open loop or closed loop?

I know how to tune my VE or MAF i have to disable maf for VE, disable ltft, etc... and start tuning it till i get my commanded airfuel, after that if i turn back the ltft my o2 sensors will work again right, correct me if im wrong. Ok after enabling back the LTFT will my airfuel will mess up? Or its another way to tune your VE and MAF with o2 sensors working with my wideband?

Senior Tuner
    You're mixing airmass models and fueling correction strategies. Please don't. They don't have anything in common.

When tuned properly, VE and MAF should result in _VERY_ close behavior. I mean to the point where you cannot tell which one you're running without looking at the tune.

When tuned properly, both fuel trims and WB % Error should not have large values. Do not obsess about it either though, having 2-4% errors everywhere is perfectly nice, stock cars/tunes often generate >8% errors. Consistency is more important than how close to 0 you can get. If most of the histogram is 4% off, that speaks volumes about the correctness of the tune, as opposed to having some cells at 0 and others at 12%.

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra View Post
    You're mixing airmass models and fueling correction strategies. Please don't. They don't have anything in common.

When tuned properly, VE and MAF should result in _VERY_ close behavior. I mean to the point where you cannot tell which one you're running without looking at the tune.

When tuned properly, both fuel trims and WB % Error should not have large values. Do not obsess about it either though, having 2-4% errors everywhere is perfectly nice, stock cars/tunes often generate >8% errors. Consistency is more important than how close to 0 you can get. If most of the histogram is 4% off, that speaks volumes about the correctness of the tune, as opposed to having some cells at 0 and others at 12%.
    Well said

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra View Post

Thanks i understand now.

It was just running through my head since i was reading the stickies and say VE closed loop or Open loop and same as the MAF.

So tuned my VE to 2-4% error, and if i want to just leave it in VE i just leave it how it is?

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, so in what way can i tune the VE or MAF using the 02 sensors with a wideband???