Thread: 4L60E unlocks converter as soon as throttle changes

4L60E unlocks converter as soon as throttle changes

Have a 3600 yank convertor the converter locks up like it should but as soon as it sees a change in tps of 3-4 % it unlocks it an same thing on decel if you let off the throttle. It acts like a 4l80e with a converter. I Can't seem to figure out what is wrong anyone have any advise.

Misfire detection is off for the cam also.

Advanced Tuner
    You have the newest beta? Chris added tables for the decel unlocking potion
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

I have version 2.23.426 the vcm is a 00 Silverado also

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP1976 View Post
    I have version 2.23.426 the vcm is a 00 Silverado also
    Get latest Beta, new tables added after .590

Well I upgraded to .678 but I don't see any changes that effect the converter for decel lockup.
    Am I missing something here?

Little more info also I have the
    TCC duty cycle max set to 100 minimum set to 75
    Apply/Release Speed Normal is posted above in pic
    Release TPS is 100% across the board
    Cruise is set identical to the Normal tables

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill i posted it. Do i just need to sit an wait now for a new update now?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes, Chris will need to find and then add the tables to your operating system.

Ok I'm back an still lost. I just got the latest update the other night but the added tables dont make much sense to me. Can someone explain the Minimum Throttle Release tables alittle please.

Also forgot to mention this unlock only occurs under decel situations

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Chris explained the tables as best as he could in the thread I linked you to

ok added some new params to the editor for OS 12212156, under Trans TCC section. Requires version 2.23.590 or later.

Minimum throttle release
    - this sets the TCC to Off when ever the TPS is below the thresholds
    - there are two vehicle speed modes, high speed and low speed
    - for each mode there is a low TPS threshold, if the TPS is below that threshold the TCC will switch to Off if the PCM is not in Coast mode.

From what ive seen the 4L80e cals do not use the Coast mode, but let me know if this new stuff just doesn't work for you and you see TCC Mode as "Coast" at any time.

When you set the thresholds it's probably a good idea to make sure the TCC will unlock at low throttle and low speeds, so try to change the VSS modes and high speed thresholds only as a first attempt.

I have also added a bunch of TCC related status bits to the scanner which will help you see why the TCC is changing to "Off". There are a lot of reasons why the TCC can be set to the Off mode.

eg.
    - TqMgt or Misfire request Off
    - trans is in 1st gear
    - trans cold
    - brake is on
    - TCC fault
    - slip related
    - min throttle mode (the new params control this)
    - large negative or positive TPS transients
    - Off during upshift or downshift
    etc.

Bill thanks I don't know how I missed this info but thanks alot hopefully it cures my issues

Well I played around with the setting in the Minimum throttle release with no real luck so far. I did some scanning with the status bits an found when the convertor releases the TCC Ramp exceded goes to yes an so does the TCC Brake Off. It only releases an shows this when I go below 7% TPS. Any help or ideals? Anyone???

Advanced Tuner
    I'm waiting for you because I believe I have the same issue. When coasting down a slight grade at 60mph I can feel the converter bumping in and out of lock....I think.
    I found this post, requested the updated betaware, and am looking at the same tables going....huh?
    My car is a C5 and the converter is a Yank SS3600. Trans is a Performabuilt level 2 and has the PWM deleted internally.
    My car isn't running for the moment, so figure this out and tell me what to tweak......
    I also have missfire disabled becuse it was failing to lock.

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

I logged my 02 C5 vette last night just to make sure I wasn't lossing my mind an just as I thought it never unlocked till the desired speed.

Now my setup I'm dealing with in this topic is a fosterchild. Its a 84 Monte Carlo with a 2000 5.3 an vcm an the tranny is a 08 Envoy built into a 4L65E.

But Ron keep an eye here maybe we can figure something out.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. Thus far, both on the road and at the dragstrip, this 4L60 is succeeding admirably at making me look like a spaz!

But then, I wanted to lear this stuff. I log the thing every drive to work as I tune, so I'll ad some trans stuff into the mix.

Ron
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Well I feel like a big idiot but I found my problem. During the swap the foot brake switch didn't get hooked back up to the vcm pinout there for it was thinking I had the brakes applied whenever I let off the gas.

Now that it's working I have noticed when I let off the tcc status says coast instead of locked like my corvette does an I can feel something that feels like surge is this anything to be concerned about?

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting stuff.
    I logged TCC slip, PWM%, TCC Mode this AM.
    Right where i thought the TC was unlocking....coasting down a long gentle grade, sure enough, it unlocks.

For mode, I don't see coast, bu then I have DFCO disabled, which might be why coast doesn't show up? Dunno.
    Slip is 0 when locked and not coasting. But when coasting the slip goes negative about -150 rpm and at about -25rpm is where it unlocks. Design of the TCC clutch perhaps? It's not a big deal, I just noted that I felt something, now I know what.

Perhaps I'll get out this weekend and do some long term cruising and see how it behaves.

Ron
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Put throttle minimum release hi and low tps threshold to 0% for what ever speed range you want, there is a hi and low speed range, I set mine to low 29 mph and hi 30 mph. Under 29 is 2% tps to help with tcc unlock while coming to a stop and in parking lots and over 30 to 0% tps so my tcc will stay locked while I'm coasting and cruising