Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4L80e segment swap vs re-pin and 4l60 tune?

Question 4L80e segment swap vs re-pin and 4l60 tune?

I am trying to determine the pros and cons of a 4L80 segment swap vs repinning the connector and running the 4l60 tune. I have heard that it will control the transmission just fine with the repin. Does anyone have any experience with both these methods?

Advanced Tuner
    What vehicle?

What year PCM and OS are you using?

The newest beta has options that may help you make your decision...

Vehicle is a 1991 Mustang Notchback. ECU is a 411 and I believe a 98 or 99 firebird flash on it. 3 bar speed density OS.

Advanced Tuner
    You have to use a couple relays to reverse the logic on the shift solenoid to run the 80 on a 60 tune. The benefit was to avoid the tcc unlocking on throttle lift but as said above that has been addressed in the newest beta. Either way you have to repin the trans harness.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

so even with a segment swap you have to repin?

Quote Originally Posted by sarg View Post
    so even with a segment swap you have to repin?
    The 4L60 and 4L80 use the same transmission connector. The 4L60 uses 13 pins. The 4L80 uses 11 pins. There are 10 pins common to both transmissions - so a repin is necessary no matter which method you use to control the 4L80.

So what is the advantage of the 80e segment swap vs using the 60e segment?

Advanced Tuner
    No relays...

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for bringing this back up but I am currently under the same dilemma. Does the new Beta version allow the use of the 80E segment for a 2001 LS1 PCM to keep the TCC from unlocking when the throttle is lifted? I have the trans already wired up for the 80E and if this would work instead of using the 60E file it would obviously be easier. I want to make sure to avoid the TCC issue that others have with the 80E segment.

Thanks.
    2001 Z28 - Turbo LQ4 in progress
    2002 Avalanche - Stock

I have not heard much either. According to the trans guys that built my 80e, its better to do the relays.

Advanced Tuner

Works just fine

Mine doesnt unlock when i let off the gas, its all in the newest Beta works just fine.
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA

Potential Tuner

Installing 4L80E in 2002 Camaro

I am having the swap done as we speak. I keep reading about the "newest beta works just fine", but I have searched everywhere (dozens of forums) and I haven't yet found a "this is exactly how you do it" type post. I bought a 4L60E to 80E conversion harness but it doesn't have any "how to" directions either.

I have the HPTuner Pro version but need info! Thanks to anyone who can steer me in the right direction!
    Lakeland, Fl
    2002 Camaro 6.0L

Advanced Tuner
    Well my car is a 2000 firebird it had a T56 from the factory,I bought a new conversion harness from LSXTune,Installed it,Sent my tune into customer support for a 4L80E Segment swap Loaded it in PCM and been driving it for two years now it does not unlock when i let off the gas.
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA

Tuner in Training
    I got mine running and it seems to shift through the gears just fine, but it shifts way early do to it being the stock configuration I assume. Would someone help to scale my shift tables until I can get it to the tuner to finish everything up? Also help me out with the lock/unlock when letting off the gas? It is currently doing it. I am running 2.73's in the rear as well. Thanks.
    2002 Avalanche - Stock

Hi all, figure I'd pose the question as I'm doing my 4l60e swap to 4l80e(early core). What is all required to do the segment swap and who do I contact to do it? There isn't a whole lot of information i'm finding on the specifics. Also I'm using HPTuners 2.23 and heard that the TCC issue is resolved in the latest release, but does it require a parameter change in my tune file or what?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of when doing this swap?
    2009 BMW 335xi | Mods = Bolt ons, meth, and tune
    2001 Trans Am WS6 | Mods = KYTP Turbo, Forged LS1, FLT built trans, s60 rearend and too much crap to list

Tuner in Training
    Will, you will need to email support and ask Bill to hook you up with a 4L80E segment swap. He was very helpful and got it back to me right away. As far as the TCC issue, it was resolved in the newest beta but I haven't a clue on how to do it or what to change.
    2002 Avalanche - Stock

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by willizm View Post
    Hi all, figure I'd pose the question as I'm doing my 4l60e swap to 4l80e(early core). What is all required to do the segment swap and who do I contact to do it? There isn't a whole lot of information i'm finding on the specifics. Also I'm using HPTuners 2.23 and heard that the TCC issue is resolved in the latest release, but does it require a parameter change in my tune file or what?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of when doing this swap?
    This post is a lot like mine above. I have read literally hundreds of posts on many different forums and a lot is said about the swap except the most important part. What exactly do you change in your PCM to make it shift correctly and keep the TCC from kicking in and out at zero throttle, etc. Doesn't anyone have a "play by play" of what you do? I know most think that "well I figured it out after 6 weeks of screwing with it, you can too"! But Geeeez, even a little help would be truly appreciated!
    Lakeland, Fl
    2002 Camaro 6.0L

Thanks man, I went ahead and emailed support with my tune files and made the request. i also posed the question about the TCC and this mysterious fix we are hearing about.
    2009 BMW 335xi | Mods = Bolt ons, meth, and tune
    2001 Trans Am WS6 | Mods = KYTP Turbo, Forged LS1, FLT built trans, s60 rearend and too much crap to list

Tuner in Training
    We're do u email support I'm doing the same thing bought a conversion harness from frost and need to know what else to do can u guys help me with how to email support at least thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by willizm View Post
    Thanks man, I went ahead and emailed support with my tune files and made the request. i also posed the question about the TCC and this mysterious fix we are hearing about.
    Cool, let us know what you find out.

Quote Originally Posted by george smith View Post
    We're do u email support I'm doing the same thing bought a conversion harness from frost and need to know what else to do can u guys help me with how to email support at least thanks
    [email protected]
    2002 Avalanche - Stock