Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Camaro A6: Spinning though shift, currently hits limiter

2010 Camaro A6: Spinning though shift, currently hits limiter

Working on a 2010 Camaro A6 with a cam and whipple (+/550 at the moment and soon to be turned up) and i'm having some trouble with the trans settings. I've done a few A6's before but this one makes the most power by far and consequently is giving me the biggest headache.

The 1-2 and 2-3 shift seems "confused" and i think ive narrow it down to traction. if you pedal the car through first and second it up shifts with little issue but if your hammer down it takes it to limiter and goes to hell from there. the car isnt blowing off the tires but the feel of the car and the marks on the asphalt definitely say its spinning. I cant seem to figure out why it wont shift through the spin rather than hitting the ETC limiter, falling on its face, and never recovering correctly.

I've played with shift speed/rpms, and shift times, and cant seem to figure it out

any suggestions, thanks
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

Advanced Tuner
    If its like a vette, it will not shift if the traction control is active. Make sure you turn it off.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

its off, actually havent tried it on.
    1999 TransAm: Stock shortblock, LS6 cam, 317 heads, 60# injectors, TC76 front mount

Senior Tuner
    Log of it happening and tune?

Make sure your rev limiter isn't set right at the shift speed, and don't try to shift that thing above 6500rpm. Post the tune... without it, everybody is just guessing.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Make sure your rev limiter isn't set right at the shift speed, and don't try to shift that thing above 6500rpm. Post the tune... without it, everybody is just guessing.
    "that thing" meaning that particular combo or the 6L80E?

6L80 in general. Especially a stock one.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

tune is on a different computer, ill post it tonight or tomorrow morning. im dumb and dont have a log of it, but ill get one the next time i drive the car which at the latest will be mid next week

here is the tune. quick rundown of specs on the car is 9.2-1 comp motor, dod/vvt delete, cam, headers, exhaust, 3200 stall, whipple seeing 12.5#'s. car is tuned in straight MAF mode

motor tune seems to be solid. no idle issues, fuel trims are 0-neg2 across the board, makes good power, drives really well. trans does good except on 1-2 and 2-3 at WOT.

im still getting the hang of the A6 tunes so if anything jumps out as a potential fix or otherwise an error please let me know. the car makes power to the moon but as a result of the trans i have the limiter at 6600 and would like to see shifts in the 6400 range. like i said ill try to get a log the next time i drive the car

thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I am having a similar issue and have been working to sort it out. The problem is there is very limited places (the track mostly) where I can actually try the full throttle shifts.
    I cant see anything in the tune your tune that would cause it.
    It was suggested to me that if the shift speeds are too far from the actual speed you would need it to shift (based on rpm) then the tranny could get confused. Without logs I wouldnt know if your speeds are close or not, but its something to check.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Tuner in Training
    I'm still trying to get my full throttle shifts where I want them. So far I've had better luck using the mph. I've currently got the RPM way low and it looks like that might work for me. Worst offender had been 3-4 witvh I could not keep off the limiter. Now using mph I've got it a bit little lower than I want and hope to creep it up until it's just right. Like realcanuk said, hard to test and log on the street.
    2020 C8 - just headers for now
    2007 Silverado 4.8

Tuner
    I'm having more luck getting the mph close but on the low side and then dialing in with rpm. My shifts are +/- 25 rpm of commanded.

Edit: To clarify...in my datalogs the mph I'm commanding the shift at is where Trans Current Gear shows the TCM to be "starting" the shift and then the actual shift starts at my commanded rpm.
    Last edited by SICK WS 6; 08-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Tuner in Training
    Well Im new to this but in my car I had to get the mph and rpm to meet at the same time and it shifts awesome but im a stock motor still my mph is 31,61,93 and all set at 6200 rpm
    2011 camaro ss convertible L99 w/A6 cold air , xpipe and muffler delete and 160 thermostat w/ hp tuner pro and lovin it

I have the mph and rpm WAY low and it still goes to the limiter in first and second.

really having an issue figuring this one out

turn it back to stock does it still happen?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

I started with the stock settings and slowly adjusted my way to where its at. never ran it as the stock settings though

here is the closest i have gotten. lowered the shift times, upped the pressure, and disabled upshift TM. i can give it 50-55% spinning and it wont hit the limiter, any more and it will

maybe im asking too much of a stock trans at this power level

Tuner
    Torque Management is the culprit and needs adjusted. I had this happen on a 2010 Sierra A6 with a TVS2300. This one put down 600 rwhp and was hitting the limiter during 1-2.

I just looked at the tune file and yea Tq managment is completely zeroed out. May try to introduce some Tq managment back in in the problem shifts.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I just looked at the tune file and yea Tq managment is completely zeroed out. May try to introduce some Tq managment back in in the problem shifts.

i tried that and it seems to make it worse. made the shifts much more erratic

Potential Tuner
    Hello, I've installed a ProCharger system on a Camaro SS 2011, and I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. The transmission gets confused when pushing the gas at 1st or 2nd gear... I have no idea of what to do. I'd be very thankful to anyone who could help me.