Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help/ideas as to the cause of this No start on first try issue

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
    Fixed for you.
    Its in the tune. It is not a mechanical problem.
    No help, just a blanket statement, nice.
    98 - z/28 Twin TC76's l forged 347 l boost cam l moser 9" l th400
    07.5 - GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max daily
    09 - G8 GT wifes daily

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oakley6575 View Post
    Well I think I got it close. Leaning out the VE didn't help at all. So I figured the tune must be lean already. That would make sense because it usually takes two-three cranks to start it. It must need the 2-3 prime pulses to get enough fuel to fire. So I added .200 to the entire prime pulse table. That caused a rich condition where it would fire first piston up and then die immediatley. So basically I zeroed out the prime pusle table and almost trippled the first pulse table in the hotter regions. From about 90 degrees to 220, it tapers from .250 to .150. The addition of fuel seems to be what this combo needed.

I now can tell when cranking is rich or lean. If it continuously cranks without fire, its lean. And when it fires but dies real fast, it is rich. I figured I would post up my findings for someone who can use it down the road. Thanks guys for your help
    Nice work man! thats falls in line with that 2003 SS i just delbt with, it would do the false starts and farted around with that stage 1 mult up and down till i found the sweet spot and now lights off on a half a twist everytime too
    2007 Suburban - Slammed, Cammed, Geared and Stalled.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Nice work man! thats falls in line with that 2003 SS i just delbt with, it would do the false starts and farted around with that stage 1 mult up and down till i found the sweet spot and now lights off on a half a twist everytime too
    Cool man. Thanks for posting this thread
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

Advanced Tuner
    i've tried messing with the cranking ve and it's not helping. Any other suggested tables?
    98 - z/28 Twin TC76's l forged 347 l boost cam l moser 9" l th400
    07.5 - GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max daily
    09 - G8 GT wifes daily

Quote Originally Posted by 98Camarod View Post
    i've tried messing with the cranking ve and it's not helping. Any other suggested tables?
    Yea all the other cranking fuel tables.

First pulse mass, second pm, prime pm, cranking fa, ect.
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

Potential Tuner
    Read the whole thread had a thought. Seems your having trouble with a 2-3 minute restart with a lean condition. Vapor Lock? fuel vaporizing in rail due to heat soak? somebody said it only happened with increased temp. We do a lot of things to increase underhood temps, headers, lowering, leaner tunes, heavy right foot, etc. When the pump shuts off, pressure drops. The only thing keeping the fuel from turning to vapor at that temp is the pressure. when restart happens there is nowhere for vapor to go except through injectors....hard stumbling lean starts until the bubbles are cleared out. Just a thought.

Good input but would this apply to the vehicles he has with a return style fuel system?

I was thinking that the second start attempt is working because the VCM is delivering another set of startup pulses (ref first pulse and second pulse). Maybe try shortening the prime pulse enable time to make it active on the hot start or enable it if it wasn't active in the first place.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by homebuilt View Post
    Good input but would this apply to the vehicles he has with a return style fuel system?
    I don't think it would be as prevelant on return style systems, however it might depend a little on where the regulator/return is located. If it doesn't clear the entire rail, like truck regulators make a short loop through a part of the rail, i guess there could still be a vapor bubble....

something that could make it more likely to happen would be a leaky injector, bad pump, or regulator allowing the rail pressure to significatly drop after the pump stops. as the pressure drops so does the boiling point of the fuel. might throw a fuel pressure guage on and monitor pressure after shutdown.

underhood and engine temps also increase dramatically in the first minutes after shutoff, just raising the hood could have an effect on rail temps and make diagnosis difficult. if it is possible to reproduce nostart then cool rails with wet rags or something and try.

Tuner in Training
    If it is a swap you did. Most of the time it is not having a constant 12v going to relays when cranking, to turn on ECM and all engine components. You might be using an ignition on 12v but cuts off when you start to crank.