Thread: New to tuning

Potential Tuner

new guy with 3.8 fbody.i got a few problems

Hey everybody I'm new here and I just got hptuners mpvi pro . I just installed it on my laptop today and wanted to start looking at my 96 firebird 3.8. It has a built motor and a tune from pcmforless . It's not the original computer in the car , it's one from pcmforless from a 97 firebird. I tried to license the car but it won't let me. It says invalid vin/os pair. Wut should I do now? I read it's cuz the PCM doesn't match the vin . I'm a complete newb so any help will be greatly appreciated.

i began logging with the vcm scanner and noticed i have some knock from 1950-2050 rpms in 4the gear. it ranges from .1 to 8*kr. icant quite tune cuz i cant license the car but for future reference how can i lower the kr?

heres my cars info:96 Pontiac Firebird Y87- 3.8 v6 bored .030 over with speed pro pistons, ARH cam, P and P heads , double timing chain , comp cam oe-r racing lifters, comp 125lb springs,titanium retainers, comp hi-tech pushrods, ported upper and lower intakes,ls1 swapped radiator support,SLP lid,SSRA, pacesetter headers, TSP rumbler cat back, pcmforless tune.built tranny with corvette servos, shift kit and Kevlar bands,373 gears, s10 stall
    Last edited by Transambrandon; 09-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Do you have the original Pcm?

Potential Tuner
    I figured the problem out. Pcmforless tuned the computer so it couldn't be accessed again. Something to do with matching the cars vin with the computers..... The good news is I can tune. I've done some minor tweaks with the tranny. I wanted to change my gear ratio and tire size but hptuners doesn't give me that option?? Not sure how to change that, any tips?

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE= I wanted to change my gear ratio and tire size but hptuners doesn't give me that option?? Not sure how to change that, any tips?[/QUOTE]

Open up the editor, click on the far right "speedo" tab. When that opens, you should be able to do it in the "Gear/Tire Calc" tab.

Most tire MFG's have the tire diameter listed in the specs on their website...