Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10k and three tuners later....

Tuner in Training

10k and three tuners later....

I'm still having issues. 2011 Camaro SS that was built/tuned by reputable shop. I had some initial problems that were handled remotely but I'm still flashing 7200 and beyond depending on tune.

I have not contacted the installer anymore about this issue. I felt they became disinterested at the end. They had the logs and could see this so maybe it's not an issue? I would like an opinion because others that have viewed the logs stated it could be improved and the high RPM's are not safe.

Others = tuners. The second tuner was a wonderful person that went out of their way to help. They did their best, but requested that I provide wide band results which I couldn't at the time...

Third tuner is local guy that many people have used. His first attempt without seeing the car wasn't very successful but we will get together soon for some street/dyno tuning.

I need to know if my high RPM flashes can be corrected...can it be the converter? I have also contacted Yank to get their opinion. Transmission fluid was checked by dealer last week...all okay.

I'm just a frustrated consumer that was hoping they would have a positive experience with their build but it's been almost a month and I still can't enjoy my car without worrying I'm going to hurt it.

List of mods:

Comp Cam 54-469-11 231/247 .617 .624 113+4
    L99 to LS3 conversion - DOD/VVT delete
    3 bolt cam, LS2 damper, All ARP bolts
    Trunion upgrade, PRC .650 double springs, LS7 lifters, 7.350 pushrods, LS3 oil pump, Katech C5R, milled heads .037 (11:25:1)
    Transmission cooler
    Yank 3200
    SLP 25% UD pulley
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers hiflow cats
    Borla Touring catback
    CAI Inc intake
    Elite catch can
    160 thermostat
    MSD plug wires
    NGK TR6 copper plugs

Tuner in Training
    Local tuner's first remote attempt and log from today. He and I will get together in the next week for street/dyno tuning.

Holy shit! Turn on your torque management for power downshift and upshift! That's ridiculous.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    I'll be sure to pass along the info....I appreciate you posting, really, but damn...you would think these guys would know this because I sure as hell don't. That's why I paid them. I've got $1500 in tuning and software right now and it's &$*$&&$ depressing my car won't run right.

I chose these parts due to others that had great results with the same combo but noooooo can't be that easy!!!

If I can't get it straight soon the wife will never agree to these projects again..hahahaha No, it's not funny but I have to laugh.

Hopefully my local guy will come through and we'll all join hands and sing happy songs very soon.

Tuner in Training
    Dyno, just in case it helps????

Dude, seriously, go into the transmission section and enable up shift torque reduction, and power downshift torque reduction, then go drive it and tell me what you think. It won't be perfect, but it'll keep you from tearing up your 6L tranny.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Try this.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

it seems it is hanging on the limiter during down skip shifts until you let off the gas. Yes?

This can happen if you disable torque management on skip via neutral downshifts.

Awhile back i added a couple of parameters to disable skip shifts via neutral, and skips shifts via neutral for power downshifts. This forces the trans to shift sequentially down thru the gears instead of flaring thru neutral when you have torque management disabled. Try setting "Neutral Skip Downshift" to disabled.

You'll find them under Auto Shift Properties -> General.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Try this.

Thank you sir. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I get home. I did find the table to turn on the torque management referenced above.

I'm trying to understand the tables, etc.. but there are so many. One thing I did notice when comparing, is the line pressure is less than the PT tune.

One item I really liked about the MB tune was the firmer shifts. PT 1-2 shift is like my old TH350 without a shift kit, MB tune was nice and firm. By decreasing the line pressure will the shifts be softer? I'm sure there are many factors that will define this function.

I really do appreciate everyone's response and willingness to help. I'm not questioning your expertise, just trying to learn something along this rocky road.

Tuner in Training
    Update:

DSteck - I tried your tune. The car acted like it wanted to cut out, RPM's were dipping very low so I flashed back to the PT tune. I did notice on the PT tune the minimum idle is set at 600. Maybe this behavior would improve if the idle was increased?

No disrespect to anyone that is offering to help me. I have learned some people get very defensive and offended when you ask questions...I'm just trying to learn and get my car straight, no hidden agenda..haha

I did enable the the Upshift and Downshift torque settings. I also enabled the Neutral Skip Downshift even though he mentioned disabling...I was a little confused since I experienced the behavior listed when it's disabled..maybe I'm reading it wrong??

"it seems it is hanging on the limiter during down skip shifts until you let off the gas. Yes?

This can happen if you disable torque management on skip via neutral downshifts."

Anyway, the car feels totally different with the torque settings enabled at any speed. The car always has a slight hesitation (1 second) and then shifts..I didn't have a chance to see if it kept me off the limiter at WOT due to traffic..It's a very odd feeling and I know that isn't a technical term..haha It's just a much different shift behavior than I've ever experienced. Yes, I know my car is modified and it will never be the same so if this ends up being the norm then so be it..maybe I'll have a chance to test it out later this evening but I wanted to provide an update to all who has offered advise so far.

Thank you

let me try to explain again why you might be hitting the limiter on WOT downshifts.

The 6L80e has the ability to skip gears during any shift because it is a clutch-to-clutch design transmission. It doesn this by "skipping thru neutral", this means if you are crusing along in 6th and suddenly go WOT and the trans decides to shift to 2nd gear it actually shifts from 6th to Neutral and then to 2nd.

During the neutral phase of the shift it is critical that the torque management capabilities of the TCM are still enabled. If they have been disabled, the engine will flare to the rev limiter becuase the trans is in Neutral and will not shift to 2nd until you let off the gas, then it will shift very hard to 2nd.

As i said before in the Auto Shift Properties -> General section you will see an option to disable skip downshifts. This forces the trans to shift sequentially thru each gear. In the above example it will shift 6-5-4-3-2 very quickly, but never to Neutral.

It's up to you what you like best, skip downshifts with downshift torque management enabled or no skip downshifts with no torque management.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Chris - Thanks for the thorough explanation, I now understand this feature and will disable.

I was able to play a little with a revised tune that had Torque Management enabled, among other things. The car is a dog...stock car had more power when downshifting. Downshift happens and then it GRADUALLY goes...this can't be right.

I guess the next step is disabling Neutral Down Skip and leave the Up/Downshift enabled?

I'll attach the revised tune sent to me. He's out of town and trying to help remotely but as I said before, he will tune in person and on dyno in the next two weeks.

Tuner in Training
    Log attached...WOT pull 3/2 from a slow roll at 12:38 and then downshift pull at 14:00, which was terrible, no power. I did notice negative timing? I know that's not right so maybe he changed something on the engine side in this tune that caused this...over my head

Tuner in Training
    I had to step back and think about all the different scenario's that have been tried so far and we have tried disabling the Neutral Down Skip with no Torque Management and I still have the flashing issue. This was done by the builder/original tuner.

Tuner in Training
    Chris - I wanted to correct my previous post...Neutral Skip Shift/Downshift were both enabled in the table you referenced...I was in the TM tab, my bad.

FWIW, I didn't touch anything in your engine tune. Don't remember which file I started with though.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    FWIW, I didn't touch anything in your engine tune. Don't remember which file I started with though.

Yes sir, agree 100%. Only transmission tables were changed.

I'm hoping I'll have some luck tomorrow now that I've disabled Neutral Skip Downshift. I reviewed over 15 tunes that I've tried and that has always been enabled.

Advanced Tuner
    I had a problem like Chris described, where my truck would neutral flare on a WOT 3-1 shift, but drove perfect otherwise. I tried enabling and disabling about EVERYTHING in the tune lol. What finally fixed it for me was updating to the latest beta, as in my case it was a tune writing issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Try using the 6LXX excel, you can limit the max rpm on wot downshift.

say when I jump on the gas i dont want it to downshift to 2 and hit 6500rpms then shift at 7000, pointless and scary as shit too.. i set it around 5200 rpms, right were the peak torque usually is.

here it is, search the forum for the original thread to describe how to fill it out if you have any question.

It is setup for my A6 corvette with 3600 stall and 228/232 cam.

Quote Originally Posted by itguy View Post
    Yes sir, agree 100%. Only transmission tables were changed.

I'm hoping I'll have some luck tomorrow now that I've disabled Neutral Skip Downshift. I reviewed over 15 tunes that I've tried and that has always been enabled.
    It should not have had engine operation effects then. Did you try it to see how it shifts?