Thread: Problem with converter lockup at low speed

Problem with converter lockup at low speed

I just had my trans rebuilt. I have a yank SS3800. Now I have an intermittent problem. This does this randomly, but when it does it the converter is locking unlocking locking unlocking....... I took it to the trans shop and they asked me if I could disable the lockup thru HPtuners. I don't know much about how to do this. Could someone help guide me thru what I need to do to disable the lockup.

They are wanting to see if the PCM is commmanding it to lock. Is there a way to see if the pcm is commanding lockup?

Thanks for any help

car in sig 4l60e
    Last edited by brandonppr; 09-14-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    1998 z28 A4 mods are 347 forged shortblock, prc 5.3l stg2.5, long tubes 3'' moroso siralflow dumped, ms3 cam, PTM 90mm TB, Fast 90mm intake, Electric Water Pump.This is my bracket racing car.

Advanced Tuner
    The smaller diameter converter throws off the pcm misfire calculations. It is seeing a false misfire but not enough to set a code. If you adjust/disable the misfire calculation your lock up problem will go away. If you have already done that then you may need to adjust the speed that the tcc will apply.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Tuner in Training
    you can scan/log runs and view things like tcc lockup, tcc slip rpm, etc etc

I think it has to to be unplugged from the car when you set up the Configs

go into vcm scanner, click on the lil icon thats next to your speedo icon, "table primary"

right click the open cell(s) click insert, then select your PID (click transmission and then itll have different things you can click. then double click what u wanna use. then save config as) . I dont have this right in front of me right now but im pretty sure thats the way to do it

usually people disable the max line pressure codes in the trans section. you might also want to change the P0502 code to No error reported. Your pcm wont like to see it stalled up to 3000+rpm for more than 2.5 secs and itll go into a "safe mode" which scared the crap outta me bc i thought i broke it lol

I also upped the max duty cycle to 100% and min duty cycle to 80-90% Seemed like it locked quicker that way, especially at the top half of the track
    Last edited by 98tadriver; 09-16-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    2001Corvette A4
    Full bolt ons, tune [email protected] mph 1.43 60'
    Quickest Bolt on C5 Coupe in the Country 10.7's in 2012?

You shouldnt lock the SS series at WOT, it wont hold.

x2 on the misfire tables, you need to raise them 2-3 times in the lower areas.

I went through the same thing with my SS3600. The SS series is not that great of a converter (stall is nice, thats about it). It wont hold lockup at WOT, or will slip badly. Mine didnt come with a baloon plate. And the snout broke on mine taking out the pump in the process. I wish I had bought something better, as it cost me a ton of money to fix all the parts that got destroyed.

If going to 80-90% on the min side locks too hard, try 50-60, thats what mine liked.

Do another test as well, with it locked in 4th gear at 40-45mph, lightly step on the gas and watch your tach. If its slipping, you will have to increase the line pressure. I had to up mine 30% in the areas where it was slipping.

Hope that helps you some, G/L
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project