Thread: Too much fuel at idle

Too much fuel at idle

Right now I'm pushing too much fuel at idle.

Running FIC1000s and I'm getting an asston of fuel vapor out of the catch can/vac pump at idle. (E85 fuel). What can I change to fix this and lean this thing out? So sick of the fuel vapor CLOUD.

429ci ls3/7 hybrid
    251/259 .670 113ls
    fast 102/102
    14:1 compression
    2011 Camaro SS. LS3/630rwhp n/a

I should add that besides the fuel vapor, car idles like a champ once it settles down.

Senior Tuner
    Something I read today might help you out there.
    Engine: Fuel: Open and Closed Loop: O2 Rich Lean vs. Airflow

Lower the voltage to lean it out... something I see there too, does the car put that fuel smell out all the time or just as it is heating up? Check your cold modifier, think it should be in the 300 range from 61* to 102*?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

It isn't a smell, it is a cloud of fuel vapor (literally) out of the breather. It does not matter if the engine is cold or warm. I'll take a video tomorrow to illustrate what I mean.

Have you verified that it's actually rich with a wideband?

I'd be more concerned about the fact that you're getting fuel vapor from the crank case ventilation.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Sounds like a broken ring to me. That is definitely not normal, no matter how big of a cam you are running.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

It's done it since the motor was new. Doubt it'd be a broken ring. The car makes power (600+ n/a) and compression. The vapor is minor with breathers, but you get a shitton of it with the vac pump pulling it out. Ill make a video and post in a few mins
    Last edited by Spinner; 09-24-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Unfortunately the camera doesnt pick up on the vapor very well since it's microfine, even in 1080p but you can see it at the end a little if you look at the fuse box. It's straight E85 vapor, the catch can might pick up a teaspoon of oil to every 6oz of fuel (over about 500 miles). There is no ring issue, you get no vapor until the car warms up, and certainly no oil blowby or smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLJrB1OmxIQ
    Last edited by Spinner; 09-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.

I'll take the car for a short drive and make another recording, see if I can get it more pronounced (it is when the engine is warmer).

Then the gaps are way too loose IMO. I pray it's not but there should not be fuel vapor coming from the crankcase especially at idle.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

It's built for 400 of spray, the gaps are loose intentionally, and that is not what is causing this issue.
    Last edited by Spinner; 09-24-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    It's built for 400 of spray, the gaps are loose intentionally, and that is not what is causing this issue.
    Didn't mean to sound like a dick by the way, but realistically speaking your engine has a mechanical issue that is causing fuel vapor to come from your catch can, unless your catch can routing is not correct.

If your rings aren't broken, then they're too loose or didn't seal. Force it in Open Loop and lean it way out and see if you get fuel vapor from your catch can still. If yes, you have an issue that needs to be addressed with the engine.

P.S. rings that have not worn in to their cylinder yet will do something like what you are experiencing.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Have you verified that it's actually rich with a wideband?

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Didn't mean to sound like a dick by the way, but realistically speaking your engine has a mechanical issue that is causing fuel vapor to come from your catch can, unless your catch can routing is not correct.

If your rings aren't broken, then they're too loose or didn't seal. Force it in Open Loop and lean it way out and see if you get fuel vapor from your catch can still. If yes, you have an issue that needs to be addressed with the engine.

P.S. rings that have not worn in to their cylinder yet will do something like what you are experiencing.
    Its a vacuum pump, junior. There is no way to incorrectly route it, and it PUMPS out vapor.

Engine does have lower miles, around 1500-2k, but isnt brand new.
    Last edited by Spinner; 09-24-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Yes.

If it's rich, then modify the MAF and VE.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Its a vacuum pump, junior. There is no way to incorrectly route it, and it PUMPS out vapor.

Engine does have lower miles, around 1500-2k, but isnt brand new.
    Oops missed the part about a vacuum pump. Hey, I've built my fair share of LS engines. Vacuum pump or not, I've not had a fuel vapor issue with any of them. Sure I've had crankcase gas that smells a tinge like raw fuel, but even running on corn, no issues. However, at idle you may have too much crankcase vacuum which would pull excess fuel past the rings. Overall I would expect oil to come out first but stranger things have happened.

I'm not telling you that I KNOW something is wrong with your engine, I'm just pointing out it's probable.

You build it yourself?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

It's a TSP shortblock. I did the rest. FIC pointed me in the right direction with the tune, going to make some changes and see where it gets me.

Vengeance is going to re-tune the car next week. Will keep everyone posted.
    Last edited by Spinner; 09-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Just now watched the video. That's not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray