Thread: Locking converter in lower gears

Locking converter in lower gears

Is there a reason in the stock 4L65E tune that 2nd gear does not ever lock?

Is it because there is no need to lock a stock torque converter at those speeds, or is it because of longetivity purposes (as in locking the converter at low speeds causes more wear)?

I'm trying to tame a high rpm loose stall and wondering if it would be worth it to lock 2nd also? 1st and 2nd gears at low thorttle command high rpm (and I know that's what you get with a high rpm stall) but once I hit 3rd I have it lock early and it's pleasant to cruise around town like that.

Advanced Tuner
    The converter unlocks before a shift so if you lock in 2nd then unlock shift to 3rd and relock it kinda seems pointless. Speed up into 3rd and lock it up. Also depending on the clutch in it you could burn it up locking too early.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

The converter unlocks before a shift so if you lock in 2nd then unlock shift to 3rd and relock it kinda seems pointless.
    Well 1st and 2nd dont lock, so there would be no unlocking before the 1-2 shift like you said...just a straight lock in 2nd after the shift.

Speed up into 3rd and lock it up.
    That's what I've been doing now and it works well for most of the time I drive around, but with my loud ass exhaust and always leaving for work in the wee hours of the morning it would be nice to be able to not have to rev to 3000 just to get through the first two gears.

I knew what I was getting with the stall, and I love it in all other aspects...except the first two gears when putting around and was just wondering if there was a workaround that. Though it's definitely not worth to jeopardize my setup by doing so, that's why I figured I'd ask about any issues with low speed locking.

Quote Originally Posted by EFI View Post
    ... but with my loud ass exhaust and always leaving for work in the wee hours of the morning it would be nice to be able to not have to rev to 3000 just to get through the first two gears ...
    Easy fix ... install a proper exhaust system.