Thread: Wiring Wideband to Laptop

Potential Tuner

Wiring Wideband to Laptop

After a 4 year absence from my car, I finally have the time to get back to enjoying it.

I purchased HPT years ago when it was still licensed for any 2 model years, im my case 99 and 02.I believe it was originally 2.0 then updates to 2.11 right when I got it. I had also purchased enhanced IO to allow SD tuning.

Fasrforward to now. I installed a AEM UEGO and want to wire it into my laptop to log afr.
    Now I get the part about wiring the wire from the wideband to an rs-232 connector and then the ground but my question is how do I get that into my laptop if I am already running the cable from the OBDII port thru a rs232 to USB convertor?
    Do I run a second convertor on another usb port? I dont have that connector like on the newer pro dongles either.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just spent about 2 hours searching and came up empty.

Advanced Tuner
    i think you should/can monitor the afr with the wideband software itself only (logworks?)
    Does the wb have a serial connector interfacte to the laptop?
    I think you have to run 2 cables, 1 for hptuner and 1 for wideband.
    Depending on your laptop you can either use 2 usb cables or usb/rs232 cable +usb

Potential Tuner
    It is an AEM Uego so the interface has a 5V wire (blue) that can be wired into an rs-232 connector. I just don't know how to get it from that to HPT.
    Im sure I had info on it before but I lost it after a hard drive crash. I seem to recall that I purchased enhanced IO for SD tuning for the 99 licence locked to my VIN which had some support for Wideband logging?

Sry about the kinda noob stuff but after about 4 years away from the car and HPT, I am pretty rusty.

Maybe one of the HPT techs could help address this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATION View Post
    It is an AEM Uego so the interface has a 5V wire (blue) that can be wired into an rs-232 connector. I just don't know how to get it from that to HPT.
    Im sure I had info on it before but I lost it after a hard drive crash. I seem to recall that I purchased enhanced IO for SD tuning for the 99 licence locked to my VIN which had some support for Wideband logging?

Sry about the kinda noob stuff but after about 4 years away from the car and HPT, I am pretty rusty.

Maybe one of the HPT techs could help address this for me?
    The blue wire on the AEM is actually a serial data stream signal. You still use the rs232 though to get it into your usb port. The white wire is the analog out. You can buy an adapter from radio shack or online. I like the ones from radio shack because windows seems to get along with them and if something happens to it, I can get it anywhere without having driver issues.

Potential Tuner
    So HPT will look for 2 different input sources, one from the OBDII port thru the USB and another from my wideband thru a second USB port, and log all this info on one scan file?

So HPT will look for 2 different input sources, one from the OBDII port thru the USB and another from my wideband thru a second USB port, and log all this info on one scan file?
    On the AEM, the serial data wire is blue, and the analog is white. You will use the analog wire. I'm not sure if the scanner can integrate external serial data streams.

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone answer this?
    2005 Silverado 2wd Crue Cab, Daily Driver
    2005 370" LQ4, BTR Truck Torque Cam, 202/202, .511/.511 111
    LS6 Springs, LS7 Lifters, Trunnion upgrade
    Speed Engineering HAI, Stock exhaust with 3" I/O Flowmaster
    New 4L65E

2005 Cadillac CTSV TT, Too much to list.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    Can anyone answer this?
    That was 2012. Lots has changed. You got two 3 options.
    1. If it is CANBUS (0034) you can connect direct to OBD port
    2. If non CANBUS you can use the serial data (AEMNET) directly to your upgraded pro feature pigtail.
    3. If non CANBUS you can use the analog wiring to connect directly to your upgraded pro feature pigtail.
    4. Other least favorable is a few adapters and converters to use as a side route into your computer and import data into the scanner. (Least reliable).

5. Or, analog connected to an unused (or temporarily unused while tuning) 0-5v signal input at the ECM. EGR, fuel tank pressure, A/C pressure...

Tuner in Training
    #5... This is what I do. Turn off A/C, run it through the A/C pressure sensor, then offset for any voltage differences.