Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tune your Mustang using HPTuners

How to tune your Mustang using HPTuners

Just finished putting together an article that should be helpful for anyone new to HPTuners and Ford Tuning

How to tune your Mustang using HPTuners

If there are any questions or errors, please let me know.

-Eric
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Eric do you happen to have a book for sell? Any other tutorials?
    BTW the one you linked too gave great insight.

I assume 05+V8 mustangs and 04+ V8 F150's are all written in the same "code"?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Eric do you happen to have a book for sell? Any other tutorials?
    BTW the one you linked too gave great insight.

I assume 05+V8 mustangs and 04+ V8 F150's are all written in the same "code"?
    I don't have a book for sell yet. I'm working on some other articles like this one but more technical. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll do my best to explain stuff.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Thanks for the info. In my experience setting the COT tables to disabled also disables DFCO. I just max the temp tables to keep the DFCO functional.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Thanks for the info. In my experience setting the COT tables to disabled also disables DFCO. I just max the temp tables to keep the DFCO functional.

Russ Kemp
    I have not experienced this.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Dfco is working in mine even cot disabled, meaning i have injector shut off after desired time, and it was so on every one i tuned.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Advanced Tuner
    Good read, and advice for someone who just got into tuning the Mustang.

There are still tables missing in HPT that I like having control of in SCT, and I find SCT's program to be easier to use on the Mustang. Though their software is slower and laggy when using it.

Hey Eric have you figured out a good way to tune the Fuel Pump Voltage Table with HPTuners? I have a thread somewhere on the forums talking about this issue.
    2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS: RGR 322 3v - JPC Intake - Vortech YSi-B - Magnum T56 XL - Built 8.8 - Full Suspension
    2008 Ford Shelby GT500: VMP Gen 2 - ATI 15% - SCJ TB - Full Bassani Exhaust - Full Suspension - Upper Pulley - Meth Injection - JLT 127mm

I answered You result from test there
    www.hd-customs.pl

Quote Originally Posted by Blown383 View Post
    Hey Eric have you figured out a good way to tune the Fuel Pump Voltage Table with HPTuners? I have a thread somewhere on the forums talking about this issue.
    Sorry for my late reply, I didn't get notification of your post.

Been a while since I have tried to use the VCM Scanner portion to HPTuners on a Mustang. If the PID's needed to do it are missing , I will gladly provide the information needed to add it to the software... Bill?
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Hey caniggia, I attempted using the data from our experiment but it wasn't accurate enough. I ended up buying an SCT tuner just to datalog with.

Hey Eric, the PID's are definitely missing.

Also, is there anyway to adjust transient fueling (maybe via the MAP tables?) on Ford with HPTuners? I've tuned my Load tables, MAF, and FPVT (using SCT Livelink) but I cannot get rid of this cold engine lean spiking/hesitation. Once it hits operating temp, everything is perfect with only a slight lean tip-in/rich let-off.
    2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS: RGR 322 3v - JPC Intake - Vortech YSi-B - Magnum T56 XL - Built 8.8 - Full Suspension
    2008 Ford Shelby GT500: VMP Gen 2 - ATI 15% - SCJ TB - Full Bassani Exhaust - Full Suspension - Upper Pulley - Meth Injection - JLT 127mm

Hey caniggia, I attempted using the data from our experiment but it wasn't accurate enough. I ended up buying an SCT tuner just to datalog with.

Hey Eric, the PID's are definitely missing.

Also, is there anyway to adjust transient fueling (maybe via the MAP tables?) on Ford with HPTuners? I've tuned my Load tables, MAF, and FPVT (using SCT Livelink) but I cannot get rid of this cold engine lean spiking/hesitation. Once it hits operating temp, everything is perfect with only a slight lean tip-in/rich let-off.
    Would you mind posting your tune? Both the modified one, and the stock one.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Here's my tunes. If you need anything else, let me know.

Just looked at your tune. It does not appear that the transient tables are available. You can raise intake manifold volume to help though. It should be raised anyway since your MAF is probably further away than it was in stock form.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Thanks for the tip. I actually have the MAF setup in a blow through configuration in about the same place it would be with a cold air. It's not too far away. Would you happen to have an approximate value I could try out? Off the top of my head, it would seem a good place to start would be about 7.5%, as that is how much bigger my engine is than stock?

I think You should do that opposite. When You have lean spikes at tip, You should make intake volume smaller. In normal condition to stock pistons, crank, heads the bigger manifold, the slower air gets into cylinders, due there is vacum and it takes time to fill with fresh air, so there is no need to add more fuel at tip in, the smaller intake, the faster air gets into cyl at tip in, so then is more need to add fuel at tip in.
    This applays to situation with 2 different manifold size with MAF at same place with both. Situation gets more complicated when maf is at different length, I think there is no function to compensate it and this can do that only partially.
    But as you say, You have it close as with CAI, so I would try values lower, let's say 5.

I write above after testing one car with strange turbo setup and one had similar issue.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Alright, so I tried raising the intake volume scalar and it made my lean tip-in worse and helped the rich liftoff, so driveability was way worse.

Next, I tried a lower value and it made the lean tip-in better when I stab the throttle but didn't help part throttle transient situations and made the rich liftoff way worse. The car as a whole feels snappier, but now it spikes to 10.5afr when I lift off the throttle sometimes. It does "feel" better though.

I suppose there is nothing I can do except switch to SCT with my combination unless you have some ideas?

Please post photos of installation in new thread or here.
    Last edited by caniggia; 01-10-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Alright, so I tried raising the intake volume scalar and it made my lean tip-in worse and helped the rich liftoff, so driveability was way worse.

Next, I tried a lower value and it made the lean tip-in better when I stab the throttle but didn't help part throttle transient situations and made the rich liftoff way worse. The car as a whole feels snappier, but now it spikes to 10.5afr when I lift off the throttle sometimes. It does "feel" better though.

I suppose there is nothing I can do except switch to SCT with my combination unless you have some ideas?
    The missing transient tables would be helpful here.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC