Thread: 0411 reflash questions from truck to car

0411 reflash questions from truck to car

First let me say that I am new to tuning. I've been having good luck tuning the cars that come into the shop, but I get a lot of requests to bench tune pcm's to eliminate vats, etc. for engine swap vehicles, efi connection kits on LT1 and so on.

If I have an 0411 pcm from a truck, and I want to use it as an f-body file in an LT1 with the eficonnection kit (or as a replacement pcm in an LS1 f-body for that matter) what is required? Does HPT have the ability to change this or is that something that requires a Tech2?

If HPT can be used to change the file to that of an f-body, will I have to liscense the pcm as a truck first? I have unlimited credits for the cars but not the trucks.... I'm thinking a tech2 will do this without costing me the credits to liscense the pcm as a truck first...but right now I don't have a tech2.

How do I turn a truck file into one for an f-body if it can be done with HPT? What is required in terms of VINs when dealing with swap applications? Does vin even matter?

Sorry for the newb questions.

Senior Tuner
    As long as the file is for 0411 pcm it can be flashed in. HPT can do it, involves a write entire with a file from the vehicle you want. You cant turn a truck file into a car file. You have to have to have an actual file from the vehicle you want to use. VIN only matters if you have other modules still present or need it to pass emissions. Unless you have unlimited licenses it can get expensive. You have to have the file you wish to flash licensed as well as the file you want to replace on the pcm.

Ok, so I would have to liscense the truck file in order to make the changes which would turn it into a car file. Basically after I liscense the truck file I would open a compare file for an '01 or '02 car that I have tuned and copy over all the differences? Or just open a car file and then do a write entire?

I have unlimited car credits, so it would just cost me the two credits for liscensing the truck correct?

I've been thinking about getting a tech2 anyway....can it write a car file to a pcm that came from a truck? I have never used a tech2 so I'm not sure what it can and can't do. If the tech 2 can do this it wouldn't cost me anything to tune it since I have unlimited car.

Senior Tuner
    NO. You cannot make a truck file a car file. You can overwrite a pcm that has a truck file with a car file, but you have to have the actual car file to start with.

so what is the tech II good for? how much does one of these $?