Thread: tune issues, car wont idle. help please

Tuner in Training

tune issues, car wont idle. help please

so here's the deal, hp tuners on a 5.3 ls with a ls6 cam 58lb injectors and a gt45r turbo. tuned with hp tuners, speed density 2 bar map. car wont idle, turns on idles high for a few secs then just shuts off. the iac is jumping around alot, i have no idea what it could be. i had a non speed density tune before and the same thing, but it would backfire and pop out of the exhaust like crazy, i tried to force it by holding the rpm's at about 2k and as soon as it was under load it would just backfire and pop non stop out the exhaust. can some one take a look at the tune and see if i did something wrong.
    Last edited by metalic5; 11-12-2012 at 07:43 AM.

in the dtc p0101 and p0102 need to be set to no mil light and p0101 you need to uncheck ses enable. Your ve table looks pretty bad and so do your spark tables. I match my low and high octane map along with the idle spark map.

Tuner in Training
    played with it some more, no backfires but really rough idle for abot 10 secs then shuts off sounds like im running a t-rex cam lol. its really rich and the idle air control is jumping around, 120's to 40's to 80's then back to 20's and the car shuts off then, i try to rev it up and it doesnt.

help anyone

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost-1 View Post
    in the dtc p0101 and p0102 need to be set to no mil light and p0101 you need to uncheck ses enable. Your ve table looks pretty bad and so do your spark tables. I match my low and high octane map along with the idle spark map.
    As I look and learn as different tunes are posted I dont always understand the comments.
    Why do you say the VE and Spark tables look bad. I am new and didnt really see anything that just jumped out.
    Thanks
    Dave

Tuner
    Is your injector flow rate way off? Looks like it is set too high for 58 lb/hr injectors.

Tuner in Training
    when i lower it it runs way too rich,

Tuner
    Humm, that seems backwards to me but I am new at this. I would assumed it is basing how much time the injector is open on the size. I am still curious on your VE table on what all is wrong with it, on mine since I have a larger cam and was not as efficient in the idle range I had to lower these values in the idle area and just above then they increased with RPM and air flow.
    That seems to be what has been recommended.
    You are not using the boost enrichment so it is going the standard power enrichment and you are commanding the AFR to be 6.5 range, that should not affect your idle but it needs to be lowered. I am sure others will chime in I am still digging out what I need to do.

So does it idle now that you made some changes? looks like you fixed the dtc's and smoothed the ve table

Tuner in Training
    nope, same thing. doesnt stay running very rough idle. and shuts off. iac numbers fluctuate alot then start to drop and car shuts off

Senior Tuner
    Where did you get the injectors from and the data?

Tuner in Training
    i bought the injectors from ebay, they were supposedly flow tested and everything, came with a flow chart and everything, but you never know from ebay.

Tuner
    work on building the correct injector data. Then lower or raise you VE to get it running. Then search this forum for tuning VE off your short term fuel trims. Then just keep at it.

But what map are you running?
    Last edited by Blingole; 11-17-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    i'm running a map from a 2004 cobalt ss, i was told this would work, but i'm not sure. can anyone verify, or give me a p/n for one i can get at a local advance auto or auto zone, napa...

Tuner in Training
    Try to get the MAP readings in line with actual conditions. The readings in the log are way off, for some reason. They should be ~101 kPa key on engine off and ~45 kPa at idle. The ECM thinks there is 10-14 psi boost (180 kPa) at idle, per the log, and is providing fuel for such conditions (11-13 ms IPW). IPW should be ~ 2ms at idle.

Pull a stock tune back up. Your proportional idle settings are way too low. 25 RPM enable will make the IAC jump around so much. I would not mess with the PID controls unless it is a last resort or you are fully aware of how they interact.

Way too much idle timing IMO too and I would not let it move around that much from cell to cell in the idle range. Over and underspeed corrections are also too far apart in the lower RPMs, that could also cause instability.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    WS6FirebirdTA00,

you wouldnt happen to have an idea of where the numbers should be around, would you? maybe you have a tune in mind that may be a good starting point for me. i no longer have my stock tune as i lost it when my pc crashed so i have no idea of what the tune should look like. i'm just taking little bits and pieces from other tunes.

Check out the repository. I don't have tunes on this computer but there are tons on there.

The proportional RPM should be 50 or 60. As for timing I would try something in the 22-24ยบ range for now and then tweak it from there once you get a stable idle.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner
    unplug the map sensor try that ...it seems to be going up as it runs or trying to run not down as it should..you will get a check engine light or ses light but may be it will run to get some data

I can't remember exactly, but I would imagine key on for the MAP should be close to 100 kPa. Basically as you are trying to crank it is showing positive manifold pressure. I didn't even see that.