Thread: Top swap licensing issues

Potential Tuner

Top swap licensing issues

Going to be doing a top swap on my 2001 grand prix GT and because im doing a 2 bar map conversion it requires me to flash a gtp bin file (not for the tune but for the os image because it handles the 2 bar map differently) How do I go about flashing the different os image since hptuners freaks out about licensing. Do I just change the vin number so it will be happy and flash or what? Or will it see im just overwriting a licensed pcm and be happy?

Tuner
    I believe you would have to license the original L36 file first, license the GPT file, do a write entire and then do the 2 bar map conversion.

I asked support about something similar awhile ago about that for writing over an L36 file with an L67 file without licensing the first one. They said no.

It would probably be easier to find a GTP PCM of the same year, license that PCM, change the VIN and do the 2Bar conversion.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Senior Tuner
    Though you will not be able to keep your original VIN with the top swap unfortunately.

Vin/Os Mismatch error

Potential Tuner
    so other then the fact that the licensing system is aparently deeply flawed.... if my vin doesnt match my bcm and other things im 99% sure the car is going to have a shitfit.... zzp and other companys offer bins with matching gt vin numbers but gtp bin files so theres gotta be a way

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The licensing system is based on GM's vin/os pairing, so if you think GM's vin/os pairing is flawed talk to them

We just use their standard in tact so that we can offer year/model licensing, if we changed it the year/model licensing would need to go away, catch 22.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"