Thread: kr under low rpm load after adjust tcc lockup

kr under low rpm load after adjust tcc lockup

not sure if this should be in transmision or engine. but since it concerns KR i'm posting in here.
    i've lowered my TCC lock up in my s10 to obtain better mileage. and it cruises at 1100-1200. i take it easy on her when its locked up in 3rd and 4th cruising that low. but i tend to get KR. just 1 count, sometimes 2. under less than moderate load. is that acceptable? or should i change it up a bit?
    2001 3.8 v6 camaro, T5, ford 42lb green top injectors, grand national .63 a/r turbo. 8psi. stock motor, ngk tr6 plugs (one step colder) 91 octane.

2001 4.3 zr2 s10. daily driver, 31" tires, 4x4, cat! and exhaust. looking for mpg.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    If you can definately cruise like that without struggling just knock, (you can do it!) try pulling a tiny ammount of commanded fuel from that area in whatever RPM vs. Air table you are using. If that has absolutely no beneficial effect on your knocking, put the fuel back in and take a degree or two of timing from that RPM area to see if that will help without of course reducing power to the point of struggling. I personally choose to leave the third gear TCC lockup speeds alone, altering only forth gear slightly. (2-5 MPH change) Also I really like to only add 2-3% at the most to my TCC Duty Cycle/Max table, and only in the areas that already had the highest values already.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 11-28-2012 at 12:12 PM.

sounds like your trying to add MPG by doing this? I have found it's better to reduce the "ease" of upshifting to third from fourth, rather than lock the converter.

Pulling fuel in the closed loop region will just make the closed loop system compensate and add the fuel right back. And, if you were to trim the 02 sensors themselves to allow a leaner reading, you would likely just get more knock from being lean.

If you have a way to monitor instant MPG, compare a set load/speed in 4th gear, then shift to third gear, you will probably see about 4-8mpg difference just from rpm.

By forcing a lower RPM, you automatically increase MPG, the trade off is sometimes perceived as less response, or power.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 12-01-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires