Thread: No one can tune my 1997 Vortec 5.7. What do I do?

Tuner in Training

No one can tune my 1997 Vortec 5.7. What do I do?

I have a 97' Vortec 5.7 in my 86' k10. It came from a friends show truck who upgraded to a 6.0 lq9. He had a supercharger on this engine which i didn't buy. I've ran the truck a few hundred miles but i need some tuning done because his gear and tire set up was different than mine. He had 38" tires with 4.88 gears and the Whipple blower. I have 4.10 gears and 39.5" tires and don't have the blower. The rev limiter is non existent and the truck will not shift out at wot. I cant find anyone around here to tune it because of the year. I would like to do a tune where the person actually drives the truck. What other options do I have such as computer/upgrades?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Jeff

Advanced Tuner
    upgrade to the 98 PCM or the 0411 and you can tune all you want.

Tuner in Training
    OK. Does anyone know what's involved in a 97' to a 98' PCM swap? Are there any write-ups on it? I don't need any of the security or emmisions stuff.

9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    No sir. I don't plan on tuning it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jefost8 View Post
    No sir. I don't plan on tuning it myself.
    You have 3 options:

1. live with it the way it is (most cost effective - but at the cost of driveability)

2. do the research on a PCM upgrade - lots of write ups on the internet about upgrading a Vortec PCM to a "0411". Purchase tuning software - teach yourself how to use it - then undertake the project yourself.

3. retain the services of a professional tuner to upgrade the PCM and tune it for you.

Options 2 and 3 will end up costing nearly the same - if you factor in even a little of the countless hours you will spend getting up to speed to do this yourself.
    Last edited by Shrek; 12-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Shrek. Ive been looking for a detailed guide on the 0411 swap and I cant find it again. Do you have the link handy?

Google is your friend ...

Here are a couple of links to get you started ...

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...GMT400-trucks&

There are many more on the internet.

Tuner in Training
    I used the how to posted above, granted I had the 98-00 PCM and a 5sp trans the swap was very easy. Took approx 1hr with the harness out of the truck. Also the 411's are better to tune with.

Just be sure to get the right spreadsheet or you will screw something up. You can also buy some of the metal connectors that crimp to the wires and run your e-fans off of the PCM.