Thread: modify old school V8 or run without crank sensor?

Potential Tuner

modify old school V8 or run without crank sensor?

I am thinking about modifying an old V8 engine to use a modern GM V8 PCM. I'm wondering what is needed for the crank angle sensor. I know the older FAST systems can use the magnetic signal from a distributor with the control module removed for timing, but wasn't sure if I could do the same thing for a late model PCM. I'm thinking of grabbing the PCM and engine harness/electronics from a late '90s or early '00s full size pickup. I'd prefer to use the GM stuff and HP Tuners but if I have to build it with a FAST system so be it.

I'm thinking somehow modifying the old harmonic balancer to make it simulate the HB/crank sensor of a new

What else would I need to do? The only thing I can think of is somehow disabling the transmission controls, if I need to do anything for that. Could I just reflash the PCM as a manual transmission truck? Also modifying the old block for a knock sensor, but that won't be a big deal, or should I just forget the knock sensor and use audible cues as my guide? (too late, I know)

If there is a thread about this already, I didn't find it in searching, please just point me to it and I'll humbly move over there...

I'd love to hear if this has been thought out already. I'm looking at converting a Buick 455 to FI. We already have one running with a FAST system but I thought retrofitting the modern controls left a lot more open possibilities (someday converting to a modern 4spd trans?!)

Advanced Tuner
    You can buy this not cheap but works well http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/24x.aspx

The knock sensor on the older Vortec (pre 99) motors threads into a block drain pipe thread so you should be able to use one of those
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger