Thread: How to Allow for Performance Mode on 4l60e S-10 with no TOW HUAL button

Arrow How to Allow for Performance Mode on 4l60e S-10 with no TOW HUAL button

Looking to tune a 2003 S-10 trans so it would have extra firm shifts in performance mode but it has no tow haul button, unlike a full size truck.
    Is there some other factor that plays into what switches the trans over to performance mode ? (like turning the AC on or Heater or whatever) Was also looking at the file and see as like with a full size truck in Transmission, General, Perf Option it says Class 2, of course there are a few options one being No Switch, thinking if there were no way to switch over to performance mode it would be on no switch on that option ? bottom line question is there a way to switch this trans to run in performance mode at will ?

Opps seems i put this in the wrong section.. how do i move over to GM V6 Transmission Tuning or delete ?
    Last edited by Monty; 12-15-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: put in wrong section .. how to move over to GM V6 Transmission Tuning or delete ?

This topic has been previously discussed on this Forum and others. You have two options to enable the Performance Mode (Tow / Haul) shift pattern.

The easiest option is to install a momentary switch - one side connected to ground, and the other side connected to PCM C1 pin 71. The tune should be configured to "One Switch". This will let you switch between Normal and Performance Mode shift patterns - but it will not activate the Tow / Haul indicator in the IPC (gage cluster).

The other option is to install a momentary switch - one side connected to ground, and the other side connected to BCM C1 pin B12. The tune should be configured to "Class 2" - and the BCM would need to be reprogrammed (Tech 2 only) with a program from an S10 originally equipped with a Tow / Haul switch (select models equipped with a floor shifter). This configuration would activate the Tow / Haul indicator in the IPC.

Setting the tune to "No Switch" disables this feature.
    Last edited by Shrek; 12-16-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: - typo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    This topic has been previously discussed on this Forum and others. You have two options to enable the Performance Mode (Tow / Haul) shift pattern.

The easiest option is to install a momentary switch - one side connected to ground, and the other side connected to PCM C1 pin 71. The tune should be configured to "One Switch". This will let you switch between Normal and Performance Mode shift patterns - but it will not activate the Tow / Haul indicator in the IPC (gage cluster).

The other option is to install a momentary switch - one side connected to ground, and the other side connected to BCM C1 pin B12. The tune should be configured to "Class 2" - and the BCM would need to be reprogrammed (Tech 2 only) with a program from an S10 originally equipped with a Tow / Haul switch (select models equipped with a floor shifter). This configuration would activate the Tow / Haul indicator in the IPC.

Setting the tune to "No Switch" disables this feature.
    Thank You Again Sir VERY Much

Ok now i spent a good 4 hours last night searching this out, but can not find a diagram for the pinout connecter for the 2003 S-10, all i can find on it is, that it is, pin 71 and it should be blue .. i did how ever find a few other diagrams on older and newer pinouts, was thinking the newer might be close or same as, but they are not from a S-10 ?

C1 (Blue) pin 71 will be unused (no wire) in your 2003 S10. You will need to add a wire to this location.

To remove the connector use a 7 mm socket and loosen the retaining bolt. The cavities are marked - but may be obscured by corrosion.

Attached is a photo of a harness under construction - it depicts where pin 71 is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    C1 (Blue) pin 71 will be unused (no wire) in your 2003 S10. You will need to add a wire to this location.

To remove the connector use a 7 mm socket and loosen the retaining bolt. The cavities are marked - but may be obscured by corrosion.

Attached is a photo of a harness under construction - it depicts where pin 71 is located.
    Beautiful Thanks

Tuner
    Monty, I did the very same thing with my 2002 S10. Matter of fact, I was able to find the real Tow/Haul button out of a SUV at the junk yard and used that.

FYI, from the factory, the BCM controlled the tow/haul mode AND the light on the instrument cluster. When you change this to the PCM control, it will NOT light up the tow/haul light on the cluster.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
    Monty, I did the very same thing with my 2002 S10. Matter of fact, I was able to find the real Tow/Haul button out of a SUV at the junk yard and used that.

FYI, from the factory, the BCM controlled the tow/haul mode AND the light on the instrument cluster. When you change this to the PCM control, it will NOT light up the tow/haul light on the cluster.
    So what if i were to get a BCM from something that tow/haul was programed into already, and leave the tune file at "class 2" so i wouldn't have to program the BCM, just run a wire from C1 pin B12 to a tow/haul button, would i need to run a wire to the IPC or would the BCM have that taken care of already ?..

Im more than likely going the PCM C1 pin 71 route and just tune it so there is no way you can't know its not switched ha, but we have a pick and pull here and that sure would be something fun to look into doing with the BCM...

but it would need to be a BCM that is programed for power everything right since this S-10 is power window and lock or does those things even run off the BCM ?

Seems they would, but also seems that all BCMs would be programed for everything even if wires weren't plugged in, that would be a lot of work at the factory i would think ..

BTW Thanks FYI
    Last edited by Monty; 12-17-2012 at 06:18 AM.