Thread: Interface will connect connect.

Potential Tuner

Interface will connect connect.

I have had my HPT mpvi pro interface for a few years now and have used it without issue. I have recently run into an issue where the interface will not connect to my vehicle or any other vehicle i have tuned with it anymore.
    I am using it on my 09 ctsv that I have been tuning without an issue for over a year. The cables and interface are connected properly. The green light will illuminate when the interface is connected to the vehicles obdII port. When I plug the USB cable in, the computer will not recognize it anymore. There is no tone when the USB cable goes in or out.
    When attempt to send a file or log, a message will pop up stating

"The interface was not found. Verify it is connected properly and that the vehicles diagnostic port has power."

The USB port does work properly with any other USB cable in the same port.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by KissMySS01; 12-17-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Senior Tuner
    start by trying a new usb cable

Potential Tuner
    I tried that, I ordered one right away and still no luck.

Potential Tuner

Same Problem

Quote Originally Posted by KissMySS01 View Post
    I tried that, I ordered one right away and still no luck.
    I have the the same problem. I have tried a different cord. I uninstalled the VCM suite. I have emailed the company and they had me send in the datbug file. I did that and they said it is working properly. But I still can't communicate.

Check your boot order. That is, connect the HPT MPVI to the OBDII port and the USB cable to it and to the computer. Reboot the computer, then start HP Tuners.
    15 Silverado 2500HD LML Z71, LTZ, 4x4, 6.6 ltr., Air Bags, FASS 90, 16/21 MPG.
    06 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO LS2-402, OCT 08 Dyno: 554rwhp/492rwtq, 18/26 MPG.
    16 Silver 6-speed Camaro 2SS LT1, 16/25 MPG.

Potential Tuner
    Same issue and the "boot order" doesn't make any difference

Potential Tuner

USB Ports

Quote Originally Posted by KissMySS01 View Post
    I have had my HPT mpvi pro interface for a few years now and have used it without issue. I have recently run into an issue where the interface will not connect to my vehicle or any other vehicle i have tuned with it anymore.
    I am using it on my 09 ctsv that I have been tuning without an issue for over a year. The cables and interface are connected properly. The green light will illuminate when the interface is connected to the vehicles obdII port. When I plug the USB cable in, the computer will not recognize it anymore. There is no tone when the USB cable goes in or out.
    When attempt to send a file or log, a message will pop up stating

"The interface was not found. Verify it is connected properly and that the vehicles diagnostic port has power."

The USB port does work properly with any other USB cable in the same port.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Have your tried other USB ports on the laptop? If using a 3.0 USB port, trying using a 2.0 USB port. Some ports won't support a 5 volt device in which case you need to have a USB cable with two plugins (an external hard drive for example that spins at 7200 rpm will not run with one usb connection). That said the USB port did at one time connect.

IMO, always use the same USB port for HP and dedicate to HP if you use the laptop for more than tuning. Run all other devices thru the other USB ports on the laptop. Wear and tear on a USB port can mess with it's internal circuit to the motherboard.

Check the com ports for the USB port and what is assigned to each com port. There is a ton of info by doing a simple google search explaining how to assign, reassign, disable ports and start over. Windows always use com 1 first.

You might go back to a previous Windows system patch upgrade prior to when the USB failed to connect. Issue could very well be related to a Windows upgrade instead of a faulty port or HP device. This assumes the laptop is setup to save previous upgrades (System Restore).

Visually examine the inside of the USB Port on the laptop. Is the separator intact or loose? It can break when attempting to plug the cable in the wrong way.

Did you reinstall HP USB drivers? If not do so.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dlandsvz28 View Post
    Have your tried other USB ports on the laptop? If using a 3.0 USB port, trying using a 2.0 USB port. Some ports won't support a 5 volt device in which case you need to have a USB cable with two plugins (an external hard drive for example that spins at 7200 rpm will not run with one usb connection). That said the USB port did at one time connect.

IMO, always use the same USB port for HP and dedicate to HP if you use the laptop for more than tuning. Run all other devices thru the other USB ports on the laptop. Wear and tear on a USB port can mess with it's internal circuit to the motherboard.

Check the com ports for the USB port and what is assigned to each com port. There is a ton of info by doing a simple google search explaining how to assign, reassign, disable ports and start over. Windows always use com 1 first.

You might go back to a previous Windows system patch upgrade prior to when the USB failed to connect. Issue could very well be related to a Windows upgrade instead of a faulty port or HP device. This assumes the laptop is setup to save previous upgrades (System Restore).

Visually examine the inside of the USB Port on the laptop. Is the separator intact or loose? It can break when attempting to plug the cable in the wrong way.

Did you reinstall HP USB drivers? If not do so.
    RESERECTED post but may consider this. Using in a vehicle is hard on the ports too.
    1,500 cycles
    Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal, the mini-USB receptacle increases this to 5,000 cycles, and the newer Micro-USB and USB-C receptacles are both designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal.