Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unlimitted credits

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Yeah thats another reason for having it the way it is, people could just buy a single vcm license(2 credits) and then flash virtually any year of that pcm without having to use any additional credits, not good from a business standpoint ie if we want to stay in business thats not a good idea.
    But doesnt the program lock the credit(s) to the ECM/PCM serial #/unique ID? I have no problem paying for an unlimited model/year if I plan to use that particular year, but having to buy it for every year even though Im only going to use 1 model year is frustrating. I understand it wont change, just trying to figure this all out.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    But doesnt the program lock the credit(s) to the ECM/PCM serial #/unique ID? I have no problem paying for an unlimited model/year if I plan to use that particular year, but having to buy it for every year even though Im only going to use 1 model year is frustrating. I understand it wont change, just trying to figure this all out.
    It licenses the vcm id number in the file, when the software goes to flash a pcm it id's the vcm id number in the pcm as well to make sure they match. If it didn't you could license one file for $100 and tune an unlimited amount of pcm's for mail order tuning, etc. This wouldn't be fair to us and we would likely go out of business due to that flaw. I enjoy my job here
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    It licenses the vcm id number in the file, when the software goes to flash a pcm it id's the vcm id number in the pcm as well to make sure they match. If it didn't you could license one file for $100 and tune an unlimited amount of pcm's for mail order tuning, etc. This wouldn't be fair to us and we would likely go out of business due to that flaw. I enjoy my job here
    Wait, does HPT license the ECM/PCM file based on the ECM/PCM serial number? Not just the actual serial # in the ECM/PCM thats locked to the MPVI?

Im not trying to cheat the system here, I have no problems paying for an unlimited year/model if Im going to use it!

Just my .02, not trying to step on anyone's toes here.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Both, when you read the pcm the software will ask you if you want to license the file, then when you go to write to the pcm our software verifies several things during the write process ie the vcm id number in the pcm vs the file, the os id in the pcm vs the file, etc. at this time it will tell you if there are any issues either licensewise or os id wise, this is so that you don't license your vehicles vcm id number for 2 credits and then your buddy who's vehicle is the same year/make/model & the same os id and just flash your file into his pcm without having a license for his pcm as well...thats where the year/model & unlimited licenses come into play.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Sounds good to me