Thread: EFI live to HPT

Tuner

EFI live to HPT

Im sure its been asked 8904572034973423 times, but I cant seem to find a set in stone answer.

I have a car that a guy wants tuned, he sent out the ECU to east coast supercharging for a can tune to just get running and said they use EFI Live to do that with. Well now he wants the car tuned. Will I be able to read and edit the file in the car? If not what is a work around for tuning the car.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    As long as they didn't tunerlock the pcm or use a custom operating system, yes.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    great, so there should be no need to license a stock tune file from the repository and then license it to the car?

Sorry, just seems like I ran into this with ls edit and was told I would have to license a file then load it to the car and license it again.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Correct, as long as they didn't use a custom operating system.

If the pcm is tunerlocked you will not be able to read the pcm at all.

Tuner
    thanks for the reply and confirming/clearing up what I thought.

Tuner
    Just for my furture reference, and possibly others. If it does come in with a custom OS. Is there any special tricks to loading one tune into another cars ECU? Is there any conflict in doing so?

I hate to be guy asking all the stupid questions, just hate running into complications without some sort of solution.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If I was still tuning I would likely look up the vin in TIS to see what operating systems are compatible, for most cars theres usually a stock tune I could grab on the repository to use. Trucks are usually a lot more complex because the can come in so many different flavors ie 4.8ltr 4x4 4L60, 5.3lt, 6.0ltr 2wd 4L80 and still use the same os id so I would probably have the truck flashed to stock via tech 2...

Ultimately tech 2 flash to stock is always the best way but sometimes you can work around it without any detrimental affects.