Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: building a VE table while running in pure MAF

building a VE table while running in pure MAF

I've read conflicting information about building a base VE table while running in pure MAF mode. I have an LS7 with an E67 ECU and would like to do just that. Is it as simple as logging GMVE into a LS2 style VE table, then using the Bluecat program to generate equations? OR do I need to build an equation to calculate VE? If anyone can outline their procedure, I would really appreciate it.

You have to calculate the GMVE based on a bunch of data. It's 100% possible. It's one thing I'm not willing to share though.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    You have to calculate the GMVE based on a bunch of data. It's 100% possible. It's one thing I'm not willing to share though.
    Gee thanks.
    I know how to calculate VE and its my understanding that GMVE is just VE with the cyl volume and ideal gas constant multiplied in. I am assuming they are using the density in the manifold for the calulation in which case I need MAT. My understanding is MAT is derived from both IAT and ECT. I also understand there should be a PID for MAT, but I can't find it in the list...

It's there.

It should simply be labeled Manifold Air Temperature.

I have a pretty swift method of this myself but like others some secrets are just that... trade secrets that gives a certain edge. Surely the DIY'ers can understand that some of us actually do this for a living and giving out some information just hurts business.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I have a pretty swift method of this myself but like others some secrets are just that... trade secrets that gives a certain edge. Surely the DIY'ers can understand that some of us actually do this for a living and giving out some information just hurts business.
    All well and good but if you're not willing to share why mention it at all just keep your "secret" in silence....

Bit childish jumping into a thread and saying "I know but I'm not telling ner nah ner"..

Half the people on this forum are like that......... like it makes a different if people know, u still have to 'get it right'.

I wideband tuned the maf and ve, since i've been using the maf as a reference it to reign in my VE a little more - nothing special with that method
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    All well and good but if you're not willing to share why mention it at all just keep your "secret" in silence....

Bit childish jumping into a thread and saying "I know but I'm not telling ner nah ner"..
    OP asked if it was possible, to which the answer is yes. The next question was surely "how do you do it?".

I guess next time, we just won't reply at all and leave it a mystery.

If I shared how I do it, there's no having to "get it right". It is fully automated.

Tuner
    OP asked if it was possible, to which the answer is yes. The next question was surely "how do you do it?".

I guess next time, we just won't reply at all and leave it a mystery.

If I shared how I do it, there's no having to "get it right". It is fully automated.
    My point exactly....

Not willing to share for commercial reasons fine but don't tease people that you know.. doesn't endear you to the community, I appreciate all the help you've given in the past but this leaves a bad taste.

Would much rather you say nothing.

Don't worry, I won't help you since I have apparently offended you.

Tuner
    Don't worry, I won't help you since I have apparently offended you.
    Wow there ya go....

Grow up David.

There's really quite a few ways to do this. If you search this forum, you'll see what others have done. Dave's prob using flow rates etc, since he's an injector guy . I use dynamic air...

...Ok
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

It's there.

It should simply be labeled Manifold Air Temperature.
    That's a negative ghost rider... or I'm just not looking in the right place.
    I'm in the table display. I go into configure a user defined input. Down at the bottom where you enter in the function, I click on the "?" mark to get the list of available sensors and parameters. I don't see Manifold Air Temperature listed anywhere. Am I doing something wrong here?

That's where I am stuck at is getting MAT data necessary to calulate the density in order to get VE.
    Last edited by HRD; 02-01-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Dsteck forgets it was only a few years back he didnt know the diff between a carb and efi. Hes kinda of an idiot like that. Whiney type from cf. The great tuners use the best out there. To answer your ? its not that difficult and certainly no trade secret lol. We have been doing it with the other package for a while. I will try to put something together and pm it to a few people. Then you can post it if you like.
    Last edited by 98S10; 02-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Tuner in Training
    Not entirely difficult since you do it.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 98S10 View Post
    Dsteck forgets it was only a few years back he didnt know the diff between a carb and efi. Hes kinda of an idiot like that. Whiney type from cf. The great tuners use the best out there. To answer your ? its not that difficult and certainly no trade secret lol. We have been doing it with the other package for a while. I will try to put something together and pm it to a few people. Then you can post it if you like.
    you cant receive pms, I would be interested in receiving one from you though!

I don't think calculating VE is some high level rocket science. I mean it's engines 101. My hangup is getting the MAT. This simple step should be just that, but I can't seem to find it. Here is a screen shot of my available PID's where I think Manifold Air Temp should be, but isn't.
    Last edited by HRD; 02-01-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Tuner
    Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    There's really quite a few ways to do this. If you search this forum, you'll see what others have done. Dave's prob using flow rates etc, since he's an injector guy . I use dynamic air...
    You can do it off the MAF, which I sometimes do. Many ways to skin a car. I use straight wideband data most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by HRD View Post
    That's a negative ghost rider... or I'm just not looking in the right place.
    I'm in the table display. I go into configure a user defined input. Down at the bottom where you enter in the function, I click on the "?" mark to get the list of available sensors and parameters. I don't see Manifold Air Temperature listed anywhere. Am I doing something wrong here?

That's where I am stuck at is getting MAT data necessary to calulate the density in order to get VE.
    I'll check the location and ID when I get to my laptop.

Not entirely difficult since you do it.
    I've known the difference between carb and EFI for years. You're reaching.

Yes, it must be soooooooo simple since I managed to do it. Guess that's why it's such a common tool that everyone uses.

Quote Originally Posted by HRD View Post
    I don't think calculating VE is some high level rocket science. I mean it's engines 101. My hangup is getting the MAT. This simple step should be just that, but I can't seem to find it. Here is a screen shot of my available PID's where I think Manifold Air Temp should be, but isn't.
    It's not, but converting it all to automate takes some planning and thorough understanding of how it all works. The way I do it, it doesn't matter if a car is running a scaled tune, E85, or anything. It's all wideband based with lambda, and works if the car is in pure MAF, pure SD, or hybrid mode. The string for it is pretty big.