Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My maf tuning problems

My maf tuning problems

fixed
    Last edited by ovenroastedlnf; 02-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.

what was the problem and how did you fix it?
    2008 Sky RL

I forgot a made a thread about another car last year about a similar issue. Read what ppl had to say in that thread and followed it. Not sure if it actually fixed yet or not but Im hoping it did.

I attached the tune and the config I am using. Anybody have comments on either that may help? We are going to set up the wideband to run off the AC pressure switch one of these days. Just need to get setup for it on the scanner.

Yikes. Got a log you can post? Mods of the car being tuned?

Not to come across as harsh, but I can see why you're having issues. Start by scratching the ve table you're currently using and start completely over, fix your dynamic limiter settings, and put some actual work into the spark tables for sure. Just by thowing in a gms2 table and slapping 20* across so many cells in your high octane tables and 16* your low octane tables in no way to set things up.
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

I am starting from scratch on the VE and maf tables. And as for the timing, everything is still stock, Im not messing with the timing until i get the fueling down.

I was gonna fo the tuning in parts, like cruise only and wot only. Then blend everything together. Then when complete with that, do it all at once a couple times.

OK I lied, that wasnt stock timing. He told me it had stock tune on it when he bought it. I never really looked at the stock tune until now... But it is back to stock now lol

Attached is the latest tune. And the last log we made before we had to call it quits. Feels a lot better, but still misfires like crazy

I feel that the tune is decent from where it started out from. When he first bought the car it ran like shit. Now at least it runs decent, and before winter the WOT afr was spot on at 11.5 to redline. Now we cant get in a WOT run since it snows every damn day here....

But as you can see in the log it is a little lean getting on it, then as it enters PE it starts to go down to where I am commanding. Which around 3k is mid to high 12s.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    are you saying your commanding high 12 pe? just to clarify...
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I have PE start at 3000 rpm, around the 3k mark I have it commanding in the 12s (I cant open my tune at work so correct me if my tune says otherwise), and I have it slowly ramping down to 11.5 to redline.

Holly lean my man. At 3k you're commanding 13.2, by 5k you're still lean sitting at 12.08 and finally by 6,750 you reach 11.57. This isn't an lnf brotha, fatten those pe tables up down low and mid range. I'm going to safely assume that you aren't tuning with a wideband either. Regardless of what you are commanding in your PE table, you have no idea what a/f you are ACTUALLY getting without seeing an afr% and correcting for it. Also, please list the mods for this car. This misfire you're getting is off the charts.

Your spark tables do look better though btw..
    09 Cobalt SS - E47+EFR6758 =

07 Silverado ECSB LBZ Duramax - Bunches of goodies

Put a wideband in the car. Its cheaper than a set of pistons and engine job. Your PE needs to be rescaled or flatlined if thats easier for you. Your commanding too lean in main power range. VE looks like you did a flash on it and jumped to something else. You are running very lean at WOT right now. Check out your STFTs around your PE areas. On the maf side I would add a good 15% around 6500hz and 25-30% above. That should get you somewhere in the ball park... or at least in the parking lot..
    Do your self a favor and work one thing at a time. Set up for VE tuning and just tune your dialy driving areas. When its right move to the next step. You will chase your tail and never get it done by doing bits here and there.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

VE hasnt been touched yet. Maf only so far, and weve only started tuning cruising areas. No WOT yet cuz its been snowing.

Mods for the car are injen intake, ported sc, option b, catted dp and exhaust, 60lb inj. and 2.8 pulley

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    typical lsj's like to run fat at 11.3 and lean at 11.7. most people who exceed 11.7 tend to find themselves doing tear-downs to repairs ring land failures or burnt out pistons.
    thankfully u mentioned the afr early so you can make it safe.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I read that 12.0 makes good power on lsj's. I know I read that somewhere. But regardless, he never ran it that lean, thankfully, I just leaned it out this last tune. Before he was running 11.5 flat to readline. Ill just keep it there!

I just need to figure out these misfires...The fuel trims are coming together, but the misfires are just crazy...

So my buddy keeps having a problem when he comes to a stop. He's telling me when he sits at a redlight the car tries to stall out, it just started today. I know the tune doesnt just change when it wants, what do you guys think we should check?

maybe dals are too low in that area? what kind of timing is he running when it tries to stall?
    2008 Sky RL

Its an lsj, no dals to worry about! He told me it only does it when he come to a stop. He pulls it out of gear and just coasts to the stop. While he does that is when it tries to stall, the rpm's just fluctuate and twice it stalled.

yeah i have no idea what the lsj tables are lol. sorry i cant be of more help and i hope this gets resolved soon.
    2008 Sky RL