Thread: Checksum error, stops high-speed mode?

Advanced Tuner

Checksum error, stops high-speed mode?

I have seen some weird problems lately. Sometimes in the middle of programming I will see what I think says there is a checksum error...I can't be sure because it flashes fast and keeps going. One time I had the error come up and the flash writer cam out of high speed mode and switched to low speed mode. How concerned should I be when this happens? When I get these error I load again until I don't see any errors during the upload. Yes, the cable is in all the way, and yes there is sufficient power to the PCM. Weird stuff.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Senior Tuner

Re: Checksum error, stops high-speed mode?

USB adapter??

Does it do it on the read or write?

Ken

Advanced Tuner

No, I had problems with Autotap before I bought HP Tuners, so I have always used a direct serial connection. I have only seen it happen on write. I have probably seen it happen about 5 times recently. It made me a little nervous.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Senior Tuner

What are your Com port settings?
    We have the recommendedsettings in the help manual.

The only other thing that comes to mind is some cars/trucks have a lot of thing talking on the VPW bus. Some of them don't like to shut up during a programming session. BCM and door status comes to mind.

As long as the programming continues, the software is doing what it's supposed to do. You won't fry the VCM during a calibration write, so you don't have to worry about that.

Do you have access to another vehicle to try a test write?

Ken

Potential Tuner

I am curious to know if this is related to the problem I mentioned in a previous post; see the bugs area with the subject "high speed mode doesn't work anymore". I have experienced the checksum error also. The checksum error is reported intermittently while loadint the flash program. I unchecheck the HS option box and continue at low speed. I have loaded the program on a vanilla laptop using the lastest rev. No AV software, nothing. The problem is still there. I really feel that something has "changed" in the latest rev.
    As a system engineer by day, I deal with this kind of stuff more than we would like. I feel for the guy's writing the code, maybe it's just another "Microsoftism". ;D

Tuner in Training

I am curious about this as well, I went to try and read my pcm on a 02" Grand Prix GTP and I did see a lot of checksum errors pop up, and it took 44 Minutes to read the pcm ??? I had the high speed checked too. I am using a Dell I8600 With a serial PC Card that has worked good with my other programmer and serial connections. I do have a file to use an read now, but that is way to long. I'm worried about trying o write to the pcm after the checksum errors and long read. How long does it take to read or write on the low speed setting?
    -Scott

Senior Tuner

Take a look in the help manual under VCM Flash troubleshooting. You may have to set the configuration manually and tweak the FIFO buffers.

Let me know what the result is.

Thanks,
    Ken

Senior Tuner

My P133 machine did this, my P266 does not, probably
    to do with background resource stealing or interrupt
    conflicts on a more modern machine. I've seen Windoze
    try and share interrupt slots, this would be bad for a
    real-time app like HPTuners. Kill anything that runs in
    the background (like antiviruses, DirectCD, etc.). And
    check the hardware resources assigned for anything
    sharing interrupt.

Tuner in Training

Went through the settings and had to readjust, when I get a chance Ill try again.
    Thanks,
    Scott