Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24x Reluctor Wheel 58x PCM Programming Fix?

24x Reluctor Wheel 58x PCM Programming Fix?

I'm looking to install a nicely built LS2 into my 07 Z06. The issue is the LS2 has a 24x reluctor wheel and 1x cam gear and my PCM is obviously looking for 58x / 4x wheel/gear signals. I was planning on using the LINGENFELTER converter box but it now sounds like they are on hold pending more testing!

Sooooo, I don't really want to pull the crank to get a 58x wheel pressed on so I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck at getting to the PCM programming to make the change there?

I've heard of this being done with "other" tuning SW but my tuner uses HP so I'm hoping someone has figured out a way around this problem.

Thanks,

-John

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jad568 View Post
    I'm looking to install a nicely built LS2 into my 07 Z06. The issue is the LS2 has a 24x reluctor wheel and 1x cam gear and my PCM is obviously looking for 58x / 4x wheel/gear signals. I was planning on using the LINGENFELTER converter box but it now sounds like they are on hold pending more testing!

Sooooo, I don't really want to pull the crank to get a 58x wheel pressed on so I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck at getting to the PCM programming to make the change there?

I've heard of this being done with "other" tuning SW but my tuner uses HP so I'm hoping someone has figured out a way around this problem.

Thanks,

-John
    I'm glad you decided against the Lingenfelter box as I used one in a buddy's car and it was a complete POS, leaving him stranded multiple times in a single week.

Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    I'm glad you decided against the Lingenfelter box as I used one in a buddy's car and it was a complete POS, leaving him stranded multiple times in a single week.
    Very interesting, I'm really hoping to find a programming solution. I guess worst case I will be swapping out the reluctor wheel and cam gear.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jad568 View Post
    Very interesting, I'm really hoping to find a programming solution. I guess worst case I will be swapping out the reluctor wheel and cam gear.
    That's what we ended up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    That's what we ended up doing.
    I know one of the EFILive tuners was able to "edit" the file to overcome this issue, I just haven't found anyone who has done it with HP....YET

Advanced Tuner
    i just finished up a car using the lingenfelter box and it seemed to work alright. although this was a c5 vette with a ls3, so it was converting the opposite way you are.

one downside to the lingenfelter box, is that i was never able to get the car to start right up. it seemed like the box needed a few rpms to pick up and convert the signal.

as far as i know, even efi live has no way to change the signal to work with a different pcm.

Pull the crank, change reluctors, go. Screw the box.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Aparently it is possible to go from 24x to an E38 but not a 58x to a 0411 or the like....
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Senior Tuner
    Based on what I'm being told, it can be done with an E38 or an E67. I'm becoming very interested, as I'd love to use a newer/faster/better/more capable PCM to run my turbo engine.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I'm thinking the same thing... I've thought about running it on my 427 106mm 6spd setup. I'm just wondering what kind of task it'll be if even possible to keep factory gauges in a 4th gen Fbody and utilize an E67/38. Put a card MAF sensor in a 4.5" charge pipe and let her rip! Be really awesome considering the newer OS's have 4096g/sec of headroom before scaling.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing... I've thought about running it on my 427 106mm 6spd setup. I'm just wondering what kind of task it'll be if even possible to keep factory gauges in a 4th gen Fbody and utilize an E67/38. Put a card MAF sensor in a 4.5" charge pipe and let her rip! Be really awesome considering the newer OS's have 4096g/sec of headroom before scaling.
    I think you'd only have to worry about injectors for scaling, not the MAF table...but 127 lb/hr is a LOT of fuel...even if you run it on E85 lol. I can't see many setups ever approaching the limit of the MAF table.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    I found this thread saying that there's a 3800 OS that has a setting to switch to 58x or 24x http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....and-Vice-Versa
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    I really don't even think this is a code patch, I think it's a table in the OS that you can select the crank/cam trigger combo style that we just don't have access to...yet. I wish I had access to the PCM without encryption, I'd try to find the locations of the table(s) to make it easier to add. The people I've talked to who've said they've done it have essentially said just that.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 02-18-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Didn't even think about using a 24x with a E38 computer? You would have to use a DBW TB, hmmmm.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    The only ECM Ive heard that can do this is the GMPP one, supposed to be a 1-size-fits-all ECM for any engine swap. I.e. grab a junkyard engine, hook the GMPP ECM up, tune it and go.

I dont know of any factory OSs that have this ability, if someone has done it then they've spent some time working in hex getting it to work.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbott View Post
    The GMPP is just a E67. The E67 and the E38 are capable or running a 24x wheel.
    Well its E67 hardware with a custom GMPP OS...and we all know that the OS is the critical aspect. Hardware is important, but considering GM uses a few hardware p/n's and tons of OSs, the OSs are the make-or-break aspect.

Care to share E38/E67 running a 24x reluctor with a factory OS? If it can be done, it'd be valuable info for the site.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...

Advanced Tuner
    I have seen instances where the same tables are empty in 1 platform and fully populated in another, so that makes sense.

Sounds like you've been digging around in hex/assembler figuring this stuff out!

All good about the ass comment, I was being a little snarky when I posted before. All good, I appreciate the honest reply.
    ~Erik~

Actually they should not be different from one platform to the next. What that tells me is there may be and offset issues and the address is not lined up properly. Hopefully in that situation is a blank area of the ECU so if you populate it nothing will happen.
    Sounds like you've been digging around in hex/assembler figuring this stuff out!
    Something like that.

there are some values that can be changed but its something we never looked into after talking with some people who know.. The system was never designed for 24x, only 58x and a couple of different cam sensor options.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not as simple as changing a value from 58 to 24. For example, the value that tells you how many teeth are on the relulctor is actually 60 and there are a few other things that need changing.

The things is that the crank pulse not only tells the engine RPM, but it is also used for triggering code loops for spark, fuel, dod, cam phasers and a whole bunhc of other things that need to be calculated prior to delivering fuel pulses, spark etc.

If someone wants to experiement i'm open to it.

Let me know an OS you can test with and i'll add some things to play with.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

email me a file that works and i can add it in 5 minutes.
    I count sheep in hex...