Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 24x Reluctor Wheel 58x PCM Programming Fix?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    there are some values that can be changed but its something we never looked into after talking with some people who know.. The system was never designed for 24x, only 58x and a couple of different cam sensor options.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not as simple as changing a value from 58 to 24. For example, the value that tells you how many teeth are on the relulctor is actually 60 and there are a few other things that need changing.

The things is that the crank pulse not only tells the engine RPM, but it is also used for triggering code loops for spark, fuel, dod, cam phasers and a whole bunhc of other things that need to be calculated prior to delivering fuel pulses, spark etc.

If someone wants to experiement i'm open to it.

Let me know an OS you can test with and i'll add some things to play with.

Chris...
    Chris,

I understand that the 58x wheel shows 60 as it's missing 2 teeth, and that also explains how the tach signal in the PCM is set to 15/15 to output a 4 cylinder tach signal given 60 teeth in total. I also know that the 24x/1x setup while simpler is also more complex in that the wheel is really 2 wheels in opposite phase (with a 6/6 tach setup) versus the single 60/58 wheel and 4x cam combo.

I'd be thrilled to expiriment with OS 12637084 (2010 LS3 and maybe L99 Camaro SS).

I've been curious what else it will affect that I'd need to make sure I don't screw up, anything that references both crank pulses and crank degrees (injector timing, DCFO entry/exit and so on). I think most things reference crank degrees in the E38 and E67, unlike the LS1 PCM's that I believe relied more heavily on crank sensor pulses, so I assume that by fixing the calculation of degrees based on crank pulses that those functions should in turn still function ok.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 02-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Chris would this also involve making changes to correlation banks as well?

Advanced Tuner
    Here is my WS6 that is getting a LSA here in a couple weeks. This would simplify things greatly.

the P01 cannot run the 58x wheel, this thread is about making the 24x wheel run with the E38/67 ECM's
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    Chris,

I realized I had asked you for an OS to expiriment, but I forgot to attach a file for you.

Here's my 2010 Camaro SS stock E38 file.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 03-04-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Don't currently have anything to experiement on but would def be interested in testing if this was made possible. I could get my hands on a test harness to basically standalone the E38/67 to an existing Gen3 engine setup to see how it works.

Question though... would the newer style gray crank sensor need to be used or the original 24x black sensor? I seem to remember the Gen3 sensor was 12v reference and the newer gray sensors are only 5v reference....
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

i've decided not to pursue this further for now, it's going to be too hard to experiment with the calibrations remotely.

Unless i get a file that is setup for the 24x sensor already.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Oh this would be cool, I'd love to run a E67!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    i've decided not to pursue this further for now, it's going to be too hard to experiment with the calibrations remotely.

Unless i get a file that is setup for the 24x sensor already.

Chris...

Chris,

I have a 06 GTO im working with, i put a gm LS3 crate motor in with the lingenfelter box, its not working well... The gto has a 24x reluctor with a E40 computer, you think if i sent you the HP file you can possibly set it up so i dont need the box?

This is about using newer controllers with older engines not newer engines on older controllers. The older stuff doesn't have the capability of being changed that I know of. The newer e38/67 can be changed to run the lower resolution crank/cam configurations.

And how can it be done?

Tuner
    I'm deciding to run old Northstar with inductive sensors on E67. The problem is the same - to make E67 run with 24x crank reluctor.
    I think crank & cam signals are processed via TPU and the main concern is to find/rewrite its microcode so it can handle 24x reluctor.

Can anyone extract TPUs microcodes from firmware?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by verlon View Post
    I'm deciding to run old Northstar with inductive sensors on E67. The problem is the same - to make E67 run with 24x crank reluctor.
    I think crank & cam signals are processed via TPU and the main concern is to find/rewrite its microcode so it can handle 24x reluctor.

Can anyone extract TPUs microcodes from firmware?
    You may have more success using a MEFI 4 or 5 controller to run that engine.
    Jaime

Anyone ever tackle this?

Tuner in Training
    To the top. I've got a 2007 e38 vette that has a 24x wheel. Looking for somebody to create a file that'll run the 24x wheel. PM or post up here if you have the solution.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by colo_evo View Post
    To the top. I've got a 2007 e38 vette that has a 24x wheel. Looking for somebody to create a file that'll run the 24x wheel. PM or post up here if you have the solution.
    Think you mean 58x reluctor, E38s in factory GM form do not support 24x (MEFI and some specific applications do).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Think you mean 58x reluctor, E38s in factory GM form do not support 24x (MEFI and some specific applications do).
    Yes, the e38 wants to see a 58x wheel. Somebody installed a 24x wheel in it by accident. I was hoping for a quick fix.

My alternatives are go with a holley stand alone or replace the reluctor, both not simple/cheap tasks.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    E38 can read both, 24x or 58x

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    E38 can read both, 24x or 58x
    Not with a factory GM OS and readily available parameters. Look back earlier in this thread, Chris had figured it out but (to my knowledge) stopped providing support for it. If you know your way around the binaries, then you can make it work, but it's not available "off-the-shelf" within HPTuners.

Options are to run a LPE converter box or swap the crank (and cam) reluctors to retain the factory ECM, otherwise going standalone is your option.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Nope, Lingenfelter box only goes the other way.
    This module is only designed for a newer engine with a 58x crankshaft trigger wheel and 4x camshaft trigger wheel going into an older 24x vehicle.
    It will not convert the 24x crankshaft trigger signal to a 58x crankshaft trigger signal and no module exists to do this. You must physically change the reluctors in the engine.
    https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L460065397.html