Thread: No Third Gear

Tuner

No Third Gear

This is more of a tech repair question then a tune question but since I have HPtuners I figure this is a good place to ask. I have a 97 GTP, it has no third gear most of the time. I think it's a bad/sticky solenoid which has now caused the clutch pack to burn up a bit (brown fluid). I've tried commanding 3rd and have gotten neutral. I'm hopin a rebuild is not in the near future for me, though it may not be a bad idea. Is there anyone out there with some ideas of what could cause this? or what could fix this?

I assume its a higher mileage car.

Losing 3rd gear is not uncommon after alot of miles, its just a known failure with the 4T65e.

I would just have the whole thing rebuilt.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    yeah it about 220,500 engines strong though

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    I would just go all out here! Don't be lazy, perfect oppertunity (excuse) to swap in a manual transmission.

Tuner
    I would have no idea where to start with that. Like what transaxle or anything like that. What would hold that much power? It's a good thought but this is also a car for the girlfriend, so a manual isn't practical at this point. I got an idea for some crazy shit for this body style though just need the $$$$$$$$$$

Potential Tuner

Manuel Trans

Dr. Noops tell me how to get a manuel trans for my GP. Sorry for crashing your thread!

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    "Dr. Noops tell me how to get a manuel trans for my GP. Sorry for crashing your thread!"

Your best and cheapest bets would be to: 1.) Find a "crappy" donor car that had the manual trans. That way you have all the parts that you may have to go back to the junk yard for later. If you have a Malibu or that body style, find a Grand Am w/ manual as a donor. Next body size up, find a Grand Prix with a manual. Rebuild it before installing it. 2.) Or you can be really brave if you think you (or one of your buddies) know everything you'll possibly need to grab. There are a few places here and there, (Pick Apart Yards) that allow you to sign a waver, go in with your own tools - sometimes they even give you a wheelbarrel, and scrap whatever you need off the cars in the yard at a decent price. Good places will usually write on the cars to indicate whether the engine, trans., and windows should work or not. They should have a means of loading the heavy stuff like engines into the back of your truck for you if they're serious. The only catch is the $$ drive. You're lucky if you live anywhere near one of theese places, but most people live near your typical yard that sends their own guy back for your parts. If you're "lucky" they have'nt been damaged upon removal and you will pay a little too much for the used part in my opinion. So if you do go, make sure it's on a nice day so you can walk all over comfortably, get a list of parts your friends need, and get as much as you can. I saw two "brand new" calipers for my Malibu literally sitting on the ground when I went for truck parts - score.

P.S. Sorry, I just realized how hard it might be if not impossible to find a manual Grand Prix for a donor - even going waaay back to the 80's. Looks like you would have to tear up a Grand Am either way.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 03-25-2013 at 10:28 PM.