Thread: How can I improve my tune without wideband???

Tuner in Training

How can I improve my tune without wideband???

Last edited by 1fstgm; 03-12-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fstgm View Post
    A log file that is longer than just one pull would be good. A little more info about the car would be nice. What mods are done to it. What are you looking for? more power? fuel economy?

a wideband tells you what your air/fuel mixture is so how are you going to know where you are now and if you do make improvements how will you know? sounds like you are shooting in the dark
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Don't try to take short cuts, do it right and get a WB.

Only thing you can do is try to go off the fuel trims to make some changes. In that case, start reading and searching. Post specific questions, not "how to make my tune better". You also need to list your mods and provide good logs when you do post back.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Actually I am also currently searching for some similar information. I just have HPT standard. Reading through the forums, I see references to reading the logs, and I have gotten the impression there is some feature in the software that can be used to dial in your fuel trims, but I cannot seem to find any specifics...

Are there any how-to guides suitable for HPT standard that would be a good reference for newbies to help understand the information in the software and perhaps give recommendations on how to proceed with tuning for specific applications?

Tuner in Training
    Here you go. I found this somewhere on the net.

Tuner in Training
    @mikedegan78 - Thanks for the file. The start of it looks similar to one of the quick-start guides I found here, but this is a LOT longer! I'll be reading through this as I get a chance, and hopefully have a good understanding of where to start by the time my vcm suite arrives this week.

what changes have been made to the motor from stock?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesLinder View Post
    what changes have been made to the motor from stock?
    I'm not sure if you are asking me or the OP, and I'm not trying to hijack OP's thread, but I currently have a tune from PCMforLess. Since its not my information to give away, I can't just post an .hpt file of the changes. I'm honestly not certain if it would be better to use the current tune (which runs very well, but doesn't give nearly as good of mileage) as my starting point, or go back to stock and tune from there.

I would go back from the stock tune.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB